Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 2, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Fermenting.

Yeah I know there are a few places here about pickles and so on.
But I couldn't find a spot just for fermenting.
Plus I wanted to show off my new 15 liter German style fermenting crock I bought on line.

I cant wait to get this thing in so I can make some real sauerkraut not that canned garbage in the store.
How I ended up with it is I had to order some more curing powder and then I remembered I needed casings but something was nagging at me.
So last night I just left the page open and this morning I remembered, fermenting crock.

So here it is I cant wait to get it in.
I will also post my failures here when I start the mess and any of you guys can to as well with questions or projects.

Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

That's a really nice one! Where did you order from?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #3
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

How do they work, Worth? I am interested in making saurkraut. It is supposed to be really bealthy!
Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
That's a really nice one! Where did you order from?
I got it from The Sausage Maker.
They aren't the cheapest people on earth but by darn they stand behind their product.
I have ordered from them since before the internet.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/fermenting-pots-s/2094.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
How do they work, Worth? I am interested in making saurkraut. It is supposed to be really bealthy!
Pete
Ill let you chew on Barbs links and get back with you.
Worth
Old July 21, 2016   #5
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Pete,

Something a lot of people don't know about Oregon (and I didn't know until I moved here 2 yrs ago) is that it is heavily populated with Scandinavians. That means sauerkraut and lots of it is made here. I've watched the demos three times now but haven't made it myself yet. Here are some links to information from Oregon State University Master Food Preservers.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lan...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...vegetables.pdf
I wonder of the Master Food Preservers sponsor classes on Fermentation?I will be moving back to the Brookings area after having lived in SE Asia for a few years.I'd love to do some fermenting myself.

Trop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They aren't the cheapest people on earth but by darn they stand behind their product.

Worth
I know you said something about the smaller containers being more prone to contamination,but I wonder if the 5L German Style Harvest Pot might be the one to start off with?

Also was thinking about 5Gal food grade plastic buckets.I suppose a guy wouldn't have to fill these to 3/4 or even 1/2.You could probably do any amount you wanted so long as you didn't overfill?

Trop
Old July 21, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
I wonder of the Master Food Preservers sponsor classes on Fermentation?I will be moving back to the Brookings area after having lived in SE Asia for a few years.I'd love to do some fermenting myself.

Trop

I know you said something about the smaller containers being more prone to contamination,but I wonder if the 5L German Style Harvest Pot might be the one to start off with?

Also was thinking about 5Gal food grade plastic buckets.I suppose a guy wouldn't have to fill these to 3/4 or even 1/2.You could probably do any amount you wanted so long as you didn't overfill?

Trop
I think the German style harvest pot is the best.
Unless you are just filthy to no end it wont spoil or get mold in it.

Just dont look in the container for at the very least two weeks or you might get mold.
Here is the rundown.
As the stuff starts to ferment it creates gas that pushes out air without air mold cant form and the fermentation makes an acid environment so botulism causing bacteria cant form.

The 5 gallon buckets would be good too with airlocks you can buy.

About 3/4 of the way up seems to be best and make sure you use weights.
The old timers and many people now use wood with stones on top of them.
Old August 10, 2016   #7
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Worth

Worth, I'm thinking about ordering a fermenting crock for making sauerkraut, but it would probably be the next size down as I don't need to make as much as you are making. Question is, after you have the crock awhile, do you still like it? Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Worth, I'm thinking about ordering a fermenting crock for making sauerkraut, but it would probably be the next size down as I don't need to make as much as you are making. Question is, after you have the crock awhile, do you still like it? Thanks!

Yes I love it but here is the deal.
Many people have complained it is hard to clean out due to the rim it has and hard to get the water out for the same reason.
Well everything in life isn't easy what can I say.
I simply clean the thing and sponge up what reaming water with paper towel and let it dry.

If I had to do it over again I would have gotten two ten liter crocks instead of one 15 liter crock.
The 10 liter is 9 1/2" dia. x 11 1/2" H (w/o Lid), 13" H (w/ Lid)
The 15 liter is 11 1/4" dia. x 13 1/4"H (w/o Lid), 16"H (w/ Lid)
They are made in china but they are lead free.
The biggest mistake is looking in them too soon and or too much they need to be left alone and let them do their thing.
I have to say the 15 liter crock full is a bugger for me to pick up and move.

Worth
Old August 10, 2016   #9
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes I love it but here is the deal.
Many people have complained it is hard to clean out due to the rim it has and hard to get the water out for the same reason.
Well everything in life isn't easy what can I say.
I simply clean the thing and sponge up what reaming water with paper towel and let it dry.

If I had to do it over again I would have gotten two ten liter crocks instead of one 15 liter crock.
The 10 liter is 9 1/2" dia. x 11 1/2" H (w/o Lid), 13" H (w/ Lid)
The 15 liter is 11 1/4" dia. x 13 1/4"H (w/o Lid), 16"H (w/ Lid)
They are made in china but they are lead free.
The biggest mistake is looking in them too soon and or too much they need to be left alone and let them do their thing.
I have to say the 15 liter crock full is a bugger for me to pick up and move.

Worth
I would guess there is a good reason for the rim. Your point about letting them do their thing is well taken...I will just have to be patient.
I just got this huge cabbage at the Farmer's Market and now I am itching to do something with it. The 10 liter crock sounds about right for me...I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else. Thanks for the advice!!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #10
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Pete,

Something a lot of people don't know about Oregon (and I didn't know until I moved here 2 yrs ago) is that it is heavily populated with Scandinavians. That means sauerkraut and lots of it is made here. I've watched the demos three times now but haven't made it myself yet. Here are some links to information from Oregon State University Master Food Preservers.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lan...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...vegetables.pdf
Old December 2, 2015   #11
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

I make kraut a quart at a time. I drilled a hole in a lid slightly smaller than aquarium tubing. Cut the tubing at an angle & pulled it through the hole. Cut flat inside the lid a quarter inch from the lid. The other end of the tube goes in a jug of water. I got this idea from a girl in my class who described her fathers methods for wine making.
I made a masher from an old hoe handle. I put a double hand full of shredded cabbage in the jar, add a half teaspoon of salt & a half teaspoon of caraway seeds. Mash, repeat till jar is full. use the large leaves from the outside of the cabbage on top to hold the shredded stuff down. Add brine to cover but mostly don't have too if there is enough moisture in the cabbage. I also grind part of the core & add to the jar. I've also added garlic cloves, & onions. That was the best kraut.
This is how to make kraut if you can't afford one of those nice crocks with the moat for water around the lid as an air lock.
I let mine ferment for about 3 wks. & then refrigerate & eat at will. Usually make a quart or 2 a month, depending on my mood.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay Pete I looked at the links and they are fine.
There are other methods like the one mcool61 describes above.
I was raised on homemade sauerkraut made from our own home grown cabbage and salt we mined from the earth.
Well I am joking about the salt mine but we did grow our own cabbage.
We had a huge crock but not a fancy one like I bought just a simple crock.
There would be a layer of cabbage then salt and cabbage and salt and so on till it reached the top.
I weight was placed on top and a towel was put over the top of the crock.
Soon enough water would start to form the weight would sink lower.
After it was finished we would can it in jars.
It is very simple you just have to be sanitary but not over board sanitary.

The crock I bought has a water ring around it to keep air and critters out but let gas bubble out.

I opted not to buy a wood stomper because I am a wood worker and should be able to make my own.

The reason I am doing this is not because I have jumped on the latest health food hippie fad.
It is because it is part of my heritage and the reason for the German style fermenting crock.
The other reason is the source for good imported German sauerkraut has dried up.
The store used to carry it but since the economic crash we had a while back all of the stores stopped stocking things that didn't move fast.
I cant blame them but I dont have to live with it.

I have also read that if you process it you lose much of the health benefits.
I dont know if this is true or not.
What I do know is I see some wonderful old school Kraut coming my way.
Worth
Old December 3, 2015   #13
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have also read that if you process it you lose much of the health benefits.
I dont know if this is true or not.
What I do know is I see some wonderful old school Kraut coming my way.
Worth
I believe that is correct. Processing destroys the beneficial bacteria so you aren't getting the probiotics for your gut if you process it. Much like live culture yogurt is better for you than the pasteurized kind that comes prepackaged.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #14
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My parents and grandparents had something similar to that crock but it never saw sauerkraut. I remember the two weights. It's what they used for brining cases of fresh green olives they would buy down in Boston's North End. We had a round rock that we would take turns using to whack the olives in order to split them open, then they would go onto the crock for brining before being rinsed and stored under oil. I don't remember what went into the brine or how long they stayed there, but it seemed like a long time to me.

Thanks for posting the picture of the crock--it triggered a lot of childhood memories! And I think mom might still have that rock.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My parents and grandparents had something similar to that crock but it never saw sauerkraut. I remember the two weights. It's what they used for brining cases of fresh green olives they would buy down in Boston's North End. We had a round rock that we would take turns using to whack the olives in order to split them open, then they would go onto the crock for brining before being rinsed and stored under oil. I don't remember what went into the brine or how long they stayed there, but it seemed like a long time to me.

Thanks for posting the picture of the crock--it triggered a lot of childhood memories! And I think mom might still have that rock.
Well from my friends mother before she died she told me to use enough salt with water to float a new fresh egg.
The older the egg the easier it will float.
Rotten eggs float in fresh water.
Depending on the temperature it can take a couple of months or more.
As for olive oil I had rather buy good oil that is bitter and let it age as to buy oil that is older and lost is flavor.
To me it is just right when it is light green and tastes sort of like green apples.

I love the black bitter oil cured olives with a good beer.
They grow olives just south of me I need to check in and see if I cant buy some fresh olives from them to cure in the crock.
This thing isn't going to just sit around to collect dust and look pretty.

Worth