Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 14, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Playing With The Dehydrator

There were five nice red paprika peppers ready, extra corn shaved off the cob and lots of carrots on hand so I decided to play with the dehydrator. One tray of corn (experiment as I've never done that), three trays of thinly sliced carrots and one tray of diced paprika peppers.

The dried Feher Ozon peppers, grown this year to make paprika powder, will be whizzed up after they're dried.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice! It looks like I have the same dehydrator. I need to dry all the cherry tomatoes we're not keeping up with.

I've so far experimented with fruit. I've dried apricots, and made apricot rollups with the fruit that was too ripe and damaged to dry as halves. I also took the tart yellow plums out of the freezer (picked them in 2017!) and made fruit rollups from some of those. Then I melted some chocolate bars, added cocoa powder and rice milk, and added a layer of those to the dried plums. I rolled it all up like a burrito, let it harden in the fridge, and sliced it into delightful plum-chocolate bites.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2020   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Let us know how it all turns out. I find that most things are good, but I had really bad luck dehydrating beetroot as it didn't taste good at all.

Eggplant, zuchinni, tomatoes and apples all do well, and when I can get my hands on a pile of sweet potatoes at a reasonable price, the dehydrator makes amazing chips!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2020   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Linda, do you cook the sweet potatoes before drying?
I use mine for dehydrating plums from my tree. Sweet and tart, I like it best out of all fruit.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2020   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

No. I don't cook them, just slice them with a mandolin and then they have to soak in water for while.....

Linda
Old July 24, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
No. I don't cook them, just slice them with a mandolin and then they have to soak in water for while.....

Linda
You soak them in water before you dehydrate them? It almost sounds counterintuitive but if it makes tasty chips, what the hey! Do you salt them before dehydrating?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020   #7
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Linda, do you mean you eat them raw after dehydration?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link to the method that I used. Apparently, soaking them makes them more crispy.

https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/...o-chips-recipe

Linda