Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2017   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™
 
DonnaMarieNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 649
Default quick question

I picked the one and only tomato from a plant (23 oz!) yesterday (the plant is just about dead). It was perfect and I ate a few slices on a sandwich at lunch. The remaining piece I put in the fridge (only because it was cut up), where it promptly froze solid. I wanted to eat some of it today and save the rest for seed. Now that it is hard and frozen, I won't eat it. Can I save the seeds after it defrosts?

TIA

Donna
__________________
DonnaMarieNJ


I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™
 
dmforcier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,664
Default

Yes, no problem.

Later: Well, I've not tried for toms so later response from those that have should take precedence. But it seems a shame to toss them if there's a chance...
__________________


Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers



Last edited by dmforcier; August 27, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #3
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™
 
DonnaMarieNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 649
Default

THANKS for the quick response.
__________________
DonnaMarieNJ


I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #4
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,546
Default

A dry seed frozen no problem. A wet not dried out seed frozen.... good chance of a problem. Save seeds, but germination test before sending to anyone.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
A dry seed frozen no problem. A wet not dried out seed frozen.... good chance of a problem. Save seeds, but germination test before sending to anyone.
I agree completely with Marsha.

Others have tried it many times, and the freezing and thawing destroys the seeds.

Same thing when folks throw whole fruits in the freezer to keep them until they can make sauce or whatever, not good at all.

Yes, a few seeds might make it,but very few.

There are many who do store SEEDS in a home freezer, and that can be done as long as before you do it you dry the seeds down to a moisture content of around 5 to 8%,use those dessicant packs that come with pills or you can buy same.


Donna Marie,are you expecting other fruits of that variety,or even others to ripen up? If so, that would be best. I know I wouldn't even try to germinate the ones that were frozen,maybe that's just me.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MA/NH Border
Posts: 4,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I agree completely with Marsha.



Others have tried it many times, and the freezing and thawing destroys the seeds.



Same thing when folks throw whole fruits in the freezer to keep them until they can make sauce or whatever, not good at all.



The way around this is to core, squeeze, then freeze. Not only do you get viable seeds, the tomatoes take up less space in the freezer.

Donna, hopefully you still have seeds from whatever variety it was and can sow those next year. If not, then go ahead and try saving, then germinating some to see if you have some survivors in the lot.

If the answer to both is no, then post up what it was and hopefully someone has seeds for it they might be willing to offer for trade or SASE.
Father'sDaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #7
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™
 
DonnaMarieNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 649
Default

Oh well. It's too late now. I had quartered the tomato yesterday, ate 1/4 and used 1/4 for seed saving. After reading the first response, I took the remaining frozen half (after it defrosted) and put the seeds in with yesterday's seed cup. I'll throw them out now. No big deal.

Thanks, all!

Donna
__________________
DonnaMarieNJ


I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™
 
DonnaMarieNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 649
Default

Carolyn it was the ONLY fruit on the plant. I had others earlier in the season, but the squirrels or something got them. It's not a big deal. It was a huge and FABULOUS fruit! I enjoyed the sandwich I ate yesterday. At least I got to taste it. I have a few seeds left, I think, and if not, I'll put a shout out on the wanted forum for next year.
__________________
DonnaMarieNJ


I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Carolyn it was the ONLY fruit on the plant. I had others earlier in the season, but the squirrels or something got them. It's not a big deal. It was a huge and FABULOUS fruit! I enjoyed the sandwich I ate yesterday. At least I got to taste it. I have a few seeds left, I think, and if not, I'll put a shout out on the wanted forum for next year.
What was the variety?

Asking since if I have seeds, relatively fresh, I doubt it but I may, I can send you some seeds for next summer.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #10
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
What was the variety?

Asking since if I have seeds, relatively fresh, I doubt it but I may, I can send you some seeds for next summer.

Carolyn
Me too, Donna.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #11
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™
 
DonnaMarieNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 649
Default

It was Regina's Yellow - received the seed from Gerd.

Again, it is no big deal. Really. I'll live to grow another tomato! <wink>

However, what IS a big deal is what is happening in Texas - not to bring that subject up here in this thread, but my heart goes out to those people! I see those images on TV and I thank God I am as lucky as I am. Losing a bunch of tomato seeds is the least of my worries.

No hard feelings for anybody! And, again, I thank everyone.
__________________
DonnaMarieNJ


I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
It was Regina's Yellow - received the seed from Gerd.

Again, it is no big deal. Really. I'll live to grow another tomato! <wink>

However, what IS a big deal is what is happening in Texas - not to bring that subject up here in this thread, but my heart goes out to those people! I see those images on TV and I thank God I am as lucky as I am. Losing a bunch of tomato seeds is the least of my worries.

No hard feelings for anybody! And, again, I thank everyone.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

As you can see I first SSE listed it in 1993.It's a typical gold red bicolor of which there are several hundreds.

Yes,you'll live to grow another tomato, maybe even a gold/red bicolor such as Virginia Sweets or Mary Robinson's German Bicolor,which are two that I think are pretty good.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #13
slugworth
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: connecticut,usa
Posts: 384
Default

I froze whole tomatoes,non of the seeds ever germinated.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★