Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 21, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Colgar Varieties?

In looking at the Colgar varieties online, I found several varieties. Is Colgar a company or region where these tomatoes are from, or just a general description of a "hang up tomato?" Is there any source (link?) that explains what the characteristics are of each?

There are several offerings on eBay that describe that variety being sold as a storage tomato.

Thanks,
GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I first saw this thread as (cougar) varieties.
Sorry for interrupting.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
In looking at the Colgar varieties online, I found several varieties. Is Colgar a company or region where these tomatoes are from, or just a general description of a "hang up tomato?" Is there any source (link?) that explains what the characteristics are of each?

There are several offerings on eBay that describe that variety being sold as a storage tomato.

Thanks,
GG
Carolyn had some posts in a thread about these varieties, mostly spanish I think. Also, try Tatiana's data base, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This will help http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41402
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

GG, what happened?

I ask since this is not the first time you have asked for de Colgar varieties which goes back to early October.

Someone mentioned Ilex in Spain as a source,then someone said ask Carolyn since she knows Ilex very well,then you asked if he sells seeds at Tville, I answered and said,no, he doesn't have a website here, but does via the SSE Yearbook,then someone said but Ilex said he would send to anyone if they followed his guidelines for shipping from Spain which is in the SSE Yearbook.

I answered you in several Pm's and explained everything. You wanted him to comment on which varieties were best,but as I explained to you he offers different ones each year so he can't do that since right now he would be processing fruits for seeds.

You kept asking for his contact information, so I gave you his e-
e-mail address.

You said you were going to e-mail him,I said this was the most busy time of the year since he had to process his tomatoes for seeds as well as all the other crops he grows.

Please review those PM's between us and what I shared with you.

Again,why are you asking again now?

Carolyn, who actually told you she had seeds for two de Colgar ones from Ilex left that she could send you and also told you what de Colgar varieties are,which goes back to the situation in Spain and France and Italy,and maybe that's the thread that someone above fetched for you.
Old October 21, 2017   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Short answer is that I'm still trying to get more information on the Colgar varieties and how they may compare to other long-keeping types. Hopefully the links supplied above will help to that end. No, I have not contacted him. Thanks for the seed offer, but as I mentioned before, I've not decided what varieties I'll try.
-GG
Old October 21, 2017   #7
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

You should be in touch with a Spanish gardener. I think we have some around.
Old October 22, 2017   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Be careful what you obsess over, if it is an obsession. Or even just
a curiosity.

The best of a variety does not really exist. Dependent on your
climate and growing conditions. And your commitment to giving
your plants the attention they need. A great one this year may be
a spitter next season.

It may take many generations, multiple plants of a dozen varieties
to find what satisfies.

Get ahold of as many varieties as you can. Share saved seed with
others to grow out. Only then is a project born to find, hopefully,
a storage tomato that suits different climates.

A quick google search...
"Tomatiga de ramellet / de ramallet / de colgar / de penjar / del pinxo / tomaca ... is not a variety, it's a family of tomatoes. It's like saying beefsteak, or salad tomato. There are hundreds of long storage tomatoes varieties just in North East Spain, not just in Mallorca."

"Be very careful with comercial seeds of these, most are not the real thing, there are a few hybrids. Impostors look better, and produce more, but don't store well, and don't have the special flavour and aroma of the real ones. Impostors also are not good for rubbing on a piece of toast.

Some of these varieties are dry farmed, but not only these, many varieties of tomatoes were dry farmed. But note that dry farming tomatoes is kind of an art, it's much more than having the right variety."

Read more: http://thetomatogarden.★★★★★★★★★.com...#ixzz4wFBn2sKq
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshou View Post
You should be in touch with a Spanish gardener. I think we have some around.
That's good advice! Hopefully a couple will read this thread and add some input.

-GG
Old October 22, 2017   #10
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Jeesh Carolyn, relax!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Today, I deposited colgar tomatoes (with the names) harvested on October 7 in a room at 8 ° C. Others without names were harvested sometime on September 12th.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1780.jpg (314.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1779.jpg (324.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1781.jpg (241.1 KB, 76 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Jeesh Carolyn, relax!
I was quite relaxed until my brother,now in your great state of NC insisted I HAD to send him some Snap Dragon apples,since they are only sold in NYS, developed by Cornell apple breeders in W NYS.

And yes, there is one place,a small grocery store near me that at least had them three days ago, and since I no longer can drive I'm trying to see if the person who is going to Rite Aid to pick up some meds for me can go to IGA and get some of those apples.

You do have fun being somewhat snarky to me all the time don't you.

Does it make you feel better?

Your compassion underwhelms me quite honestly.

Carolyn, who next time she sees you posting about something might just return the favor although I'm not one who does that sort of thing. Think about it.
Old October 22, 2017   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Short answer is that I'm still trying to get more information on the Colgar varieties and how they may compare to other long-keeping types. Hopefully the links supplied above will help to that end. No, I have not contacted him. Thanks for the seed offer, but as I mentioned before, I've not decided what varieties I'll try.
-GG
There are many other suggestions in your original thread of two weeks ago,I know I listed several keeping varieties from Sandhill and others made some good suggestions as well.

Here is your original thread of two weeks ago

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46056

Carolyn