Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Floating Seeds

Yesterday, I read the planting directions on an okra seed pack (Hill Country Heirloom Red). It says, "Soaking seeds for 24 hours before planting greatly improves germination." So I put them in a cup of water.

Today, 16 seeds are floating on top of the water. That's about one third of the seeds. Are those seeds no good for planting?

The reason I ask is with tomato and pepper seeds - the ones floating get tossed aside because they won't grow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Salt, did you add any hydrogen peroxide to the water?

I soak all my Okra seeds before planting, but I start with warm water and add hydrogen peroxide to it. I usually change the water everyday and add the hydrogen peroxide with each change. Usually by the third day you will see the radicals emerging. Those where the radical has started to sprout I plant. The rest I toss.

Also, I learned the hard way when you see the radicals emerging, don't dump the water all out at once or the seeds all stick together and the side of the cup. I use a spoon or a small measuring spoon and just take out a few seeds at a time and plant them. That way you don't have any damage to the roots.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Starlight, I'll have to try that. I had not heard of using hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking in 8 oz. of water. How much hydrogen peroxide would I need to add?

I'm planting three different types of okra in three different locations. I'll go ahead and plant the Hill Country Heirloom Red the way the pack says. The other two varieties are Jing Orange and one called ("Okra" Pink) but it is more of a flower than an okra reaching only 3' tall.
Old April 7, 2015   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I usually grow about 6 different varieties of Okra, but this year and only doing two. One is a hybrid Baby Bubba. Love this little Okra plant. Instead of a pod here and there it makes 5 to 6 pods all at once and the plant only gets about 3 foot tall and no itchy fingers or arms from picking it and the pods are just as big as the other Okra plants.

I usually use about a juice size glass and throw about 30 to 50 seeds in the glass and fill it about 3/4 full of water and add about almost a half a capful of the hydrogen peroxide.

If they haven't sprouted by third day, I don't waste my time planting them. They may be a seed, but because there are so many seeds in the pod, not all of them may be fertile. Just like some other types of plants that make tons of seed, but maybe only a couple are actually fertile. That's probably why they give you so many seeds too. With the presprouting, I don't waste time, energy and soil.

Just for the heck of it the one year, I planted some of the non emerging root seeds and nope not a one of them germinated.
Old April 8, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If 2/3 are sinkers and 1/3 floater, I would plant the floaters as IFFY.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I soaked 70 Heavy Hitter Okra seeds last night in the water and hydrogen peroxide and this morning almost all have the root emerging. I gonna be busy here sowing those babies.

Take your seed and re do it. Just dump the water out , put in some fresh hot water and the hydrogen peroxide. By tomorrow you should see all the good ones with roots and yes the good ones are the floaters.

Sometimes , I will do the seed and if I feel up to it, those that haven't sprouted I will redo, but usually one shot is all they need.

When you put the hydrogen peroxide in the water too you will notice tiny bubbles all around your seeds where it is killing off any germs and nasties that might be on the seed.

I don't have enough light in my kitchen right now to take a pic or I would show you. Maybe I can get you one before I start sowing them.
Old April 8, 2015   #7
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I plant okra only for the last two years. I did not soak the seeds, they went straight into the ground/containers. Most came up. The planting time was at the beginning of May. Was I late? Should I seed them now?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can speak to tomato seeds and floaters, etc, but not okra seeds.

I do not live in an area where okra is grown, fact is I do not like okra.

And I say that b'c when in the south I've had gumbo, I've had it fried, can't remember the other ways of preparing okra that I've had, but lurking in my mind is the word slimey.

And so y'all don't get too upset with me b/c I do like collard greens prepared with ham hocks, I do love cornbead, and I love, or did, lots of sugar in my ice tea, and of course Velvet cake.

Carolyn
Old April 8, 2015   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I plant okra only for the last two years. I did not soak the seeds, they went straight into the ground/containers. Most came up. The planting time was at the beginning of May. Was I late? Should I seed them now?
I would say wait. They like the heat. Hopefully not, but especially up in your area with this crazy weather, you might get some more cold weather and the seeds would just rot in the ground. You could start them indoors if you want to get a jump on the season. They transplant really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I can speak to tomato seeds and floaters, etc, but not okra seeds.

I do not live in an area where okra is grown, fact is I do not like okra.

And I say that b'c when in the south I've had gumbo, I've had it fried, can't remember the other ways of preparing okra that I've had, but lurking in my mind is the word slimey.

And so y'all don't get too upset with me b/c I do like collard greens prepared with ham hocks, I do love cornbead, and I love, or did, lots of sugar in my ice tea, and of course Velvet cake.

Carolyn
I didn't like it at first til somebody gave me deep fried okra, than I enjoyed it. Some friends from across the seas, they take it, take out the seeds, stuff it with a mixture that has rice and meat and seasoning almost like stuffed pepper mixture and cook the stuffed pods in a soup that has lots of tomato chunks and the juice from the tomatoes in it. They don't let it cook too long, that way you don't get slimey mess.

Oh ya Carolyn!! Now you have me hungry. Guess I know what I am having for dinner.

Salt. .. I tried , but pics are not the greatest and I had to hurry and take pics as the roots will keep growing like crazy while your looking at the cup. Once I see a root, I hurry and plant as I don't want the seed to get waterlogged and croak.

Hard to see, but all of these but one germinated. All the ones floating on top have tiny white radical showing. I know hard to see, but if you look close you will see tiny white root emerging. As you move the cup aound and try and dig em out, they will sink to bottom, but that is fine, they still good.

They all planting into pots now, watered in. In a few days the leaves will start emerging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0622.JPG (22.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0625.JPG (22.5 KB, 133 views)
Old April 8, 2015   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I take a very sharp knife and slice the edge off the outer seed coating before soaking it a few minutes.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #11
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I like my okra raw, picked early. They are crunchy like cucumbers with nutty undertone. I am the only one who eats it in my house.
Starlight, thanks for suggestions.

Last edited by efisakov; April 8, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 8, 2015   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I take a very sharp knife and slice the edge off the outer seed coating before soaking it a few minutes.
Way too dangerous for me. If I need something that needs the seed coat cut, I use a set of dog clippers. I can hold the seed and run it quick across the blade, otherwise no way would the corner store have enough band aids if I tried a knife. That takes a steady hand and coordination, which I don't have

Quote:
I like my okra raw, picked early. They are crunchy like cucumbers with nutty undertone. I am the only one who eats it in my house.
Starlight, thanks for suggestions.
I have seen it pickled, but haven't tried it yet. Maybe sometime if you get a chance would send me your recipe. I may not know how to can, but I am going to find me a person who a long time canner and have them teach me and share what we can.
Old April 8, 2015   #13
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, I just eat it off the vine.
No recipe, nothing. They have to be in baby stage, young.

Old April 8, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Pickled okra is GOOOOD

Starlight,
The Jing Orange Okra I just finished planting had the tiny white radical showing. When I saw them, I knew that must be what you wrote about.

Carolyn, My wife agrees with you. She only likes fried okra, and often tells me my favorite boiled okra is slimy. For me, that's part of why I like it.

Different ways I've eaten okra::

Fried whole and/or cut
Deep Fried
Boiled
Pickled
Barbecued
Smoked
and Grilled
Old April 8, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Starlight, I just eat it off the vine.
No recipe, nothing. They have to be in baby stage, young.
Opps, sorry about that, too much heat and sun this morning. I thought you wrote pickled not picked. My stupid error. I've never just eaten them off the vine before, raw. Don't know why either. I'll have to try that this year and see what they taste like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Pickled okra is GOOOOD

Starlight,
The Jing Orange Okra I just finished planting had the tiny white radical showing. When I saw them, I knew that must be what you wrote about.

Carolyn, My wife agrees with you. She only likes fried okra, and often tells me my favorite boiled okra is slimy. For me, that's part of why I like it.

Different ways I've eaten okra::

Fried whole and/or cut
Deep Fried
Boiled
Pickled
Barbecued
Smoked
and Grilled
Salt. .. I looked up your Jing Orange Okra . That sure is a pretty looking one. The pictures all show a beautiful red-orange color. Wonder how it will taste. When it grows up if you think of it, I would like to know if it is what I call itchy from the hairs on the stalks.

I may see about trying it next year. I've grown the greens and burgundys, but that is the first time I have seen one such as yours. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Barbecued sounds good. If I adding it to soup or a liquid dish, I wait til the dish is done and than just toss in the Okra and let it cook for just a little bit so it not so slimey.