Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 19, 2014   #16
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Any ideas for the type of soil one should use in potting these? It seems they prefer sandy ground and enjoy to stay on the dry side.
They're not picking about soil, provided you avoid the extremes of pure sand and pure clay. They will grow prolifically if planted in good fertility soil that contains about 1/4 volume of sands and tiny gravels from igneous rock. It is true that they can tolerate an infrequent water supply but the fruit quality and production will be equally poor. They will prosper with the same water and fertility program that would be beneficial for an apple tree in the same climate/environment.
Old March 19, 2014   #17
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Zana, you've been blessed What a wonderful family heritage.
I've tried the 'underwater method' of getting seeds - but so much of the precious juice goes to waste that way (unless the water is used in cooking), I try to be neat when peeling my fruits... but those tiny spots can't be avoided. Not something to be done while wearing a white t-shirt!

This is not a fruit for Scandinavia either - it can stay alive on a very sunny patio, but has to be kept indoors in wintertime. The same as citruses and any other lovely fruit.
I've seen pics of little pomegranates that were succesfully grown by hobby gardeners and they set flowers and even fruits in a container, so at least in theory, that's a possibility..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use a blinder to remove seeds from pulp, I run it through the thing and then strain the juice.

Probably stupid but it works for me.
The fruit isn't popular here because it isn't easy to eat.
You have to work for it, something many people at least here in the USA are reluctant to do.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Will pomegranates grow in zone 8a, North Carolina? What pH do they need? Recommend a good online store to buy them?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Will pomegranates grow in zone 8a, North Carolina? What pH do they need? Recommend a good online store to buy them?
Yes they will I think the things will grow in anything.
Store I dont know.
Almost a cactus of a plant and will even grow in gravel.

Worth
Old July 26, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Self pollinating too.