Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 4, 2013   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone Else Growing Microgreens?

Not to be confused with baby greens, microgreens are harvested after their first set of true leaves come out, they are densely planted and harvested after just 2-3 weeks! They are very high in nutrients.

I started my first batch about 10 days ago and will soon be harvesting the microgreens from it. I started another batch two days ago and they have already sprouted.

I am hooked!

If you have grown microgreens, please post about your experience and also where you are purchasing your seeds.

If you haven't, here is a video showing how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wd5xalu9c
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Is it similar to growing sprouted barley to make fodder for animal feed? Any sort of sprouting environment is going to be prone to grow e coli and other bad bacteria. I think it's neat and the nutritional benefits are tremendous, but I'm scared of making someone sick. I almost built a fodder growing machine until I read about the experience of a couple in England who grew it for their cows. They ended up getting a toxic mold and bacteria problem and killed half of their herd before they figured out to sterilize everything with pool cleaning products. They also had to wash the barley in a washing machine first to knock off the bacteria in the outer shell of the barley husk.

Sorry if I'm a downer. If you are meticulously clean, you should be fine. If it were me, I would wash everything in a light hydrogen peroxide solution before eating it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #3
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing hydroponically right now. I don't grow barley so I have no idea. I just googled microgreens and ecoli and it seems that sprouts are an issue but not microgreens due to the conditions that microgreens grow in. See below:

Microgreens versus Sprouts It is important to understand that Microgreens are not the same as sprouts. There are several important differences. Understanding the different production methods of each can help clear up any confusion between them.
Sprouts are germinated or partially germinated seeds. A sprout consists of the seed, root, stem and pale, underdeveloped leaves. The FDA seeks to regulate all businesses that produce sprouts due to numerous outbreaks of food poisoning ("sproutbreaks"). Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7 have been the major causes of sprout-associated illness outbreaks. Commercial sprout processors are asked to follow rigorous FDA Guidelines for production that include multiple laboratory tests of each batch for the presence of pathogenic bacteria, to minimize the threat of food borne illness. Despite these precautions, there continues to be regular recalls and alerts relating to sprouts with more and more restaurants removing them from menus to reduce their liability. In 2011, 52 people died and thousands became ill due to consumption of locally grown organic sprouts in Europe. The two largest U.S. retailers Walmart and Kroger are no longer selling sprouts. "Sprouts present a unique challenge because pathogens may reside inside of the seeds where they cannot be reached by the currently available processing interventions," Payton Pruett, Kroger's Vice President of Food Safety, said in a October 19, 2012 news release.
Sprout seed is not actually planted, instead, sprouts are produced (processed) in water. A high density of seed is placed inside of sprouting equipment or enclosed containers. The seed germinates rapidly due to the high moisture and humidity levels maintained in the enclosures. Seeds can also be sprouted in cloth bags that are repeatedly soaked in water. The sprouting process occurs in dark or very low light conditions. These dark, wet, crowded conditions are ideal for the rapid proliferation of dangerous pathogenic bacteria.
After a few days of soaking and repeated rinsing in water (several times a day to minimize spoilage), the processing is complete and the sprouts are ready to consume. These sprouted seeds become a tangle of pale roots, stems and leaf buds. Microgreens cannot be grown in this manner.
Microgreens are grown in soil or soil-like materials such as peat moss. Microgreens require high light levels, preferably natural sunlight with low humidity and good air circulation. Microgreens are planted with very low seed density compared to sprout processing. Crop times are generally one to two weeks for most varieties, though some can take four to six weeks. Microgreens are ready to harvest when the leaves are fully expanded. Harvesting is usually with scissors cutting just above the soil surface, excluding any roots. Some growers sell them while still growing, rooted in the growing trays so that they can be cut later. Once removed from their growing environment, these trays of microgreens must be used quickly or they will rapidly begin to elongate and loose color, and flavor.
The conditions that are ideal for growing microgreens do not encourage the growth of dangerous pathogens. These growing methods would not work for the production of sprouts.
With stronger flavors compared to sprouts, they are an excellent ingredient with a wide selection of leaf shapes, textures and colors.
Old April 4, 2013   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I saw the micro greens section in Johnny's seed catalog and I'm intrigued. My wife runs a summer science camp for kids and we were thinking of a way to work in a micro green project. Unfortunately the camp is only one week long though.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #5
kichaimsten
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested in this thread, so I'll be lurking here (Unless I can think of anything useful to post.)

I was wondering; What plants you are growing? Do you use a grow box such as has been suggested in the Organic Gardening magazine years ago? What soil do you use?
kichaimsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #6
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob, you could always start one tray a week or two before the camp to show the finished product and have the kids taste the greens. Then they would be excited about starting a flat of them and seeing how much they change each day!

Here is where I have purchased from so far:

http://www.growingmicrogreens.com/microgreen-seeds

http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/microgreens.html

The growing microgreens site has great prices and selection and GREAT instructional videos!

Last edited by pdxwindjammer; April 4, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old April 4, 2013   #7
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

So, are the seeds different from ordinary broccoli seeds...or are these something special. In other words, why not just use regular packets of veggie seeds?
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Kichaimsten, check out the links I posted. I am growing them in the flats. I ordered a couple of 1 lb bags along with the seed assortment, which has:

Amaranth - 4 Oz.
Endive, Green Curled Ruffec - 4 Oz.
TatSoi - 4 Oz.
Cauliflower, Snowball - 4 Oz.
Broccoli - 4 Oz.
Mizuna - 4 Oz.
Basil, Genovese - 4 Oz.
Cress, Curled - 4 Oz.
Basic Salad Mix - 4 Oz.
Spicy Salad Mix - 4 Oz.
Kale, Russian - 4 Oz.
Arugula - 4 Oz.

Farmette, the seeds are the same as what you would find in a seed packet. I asked when I had an issue with my order and spoke to someone. The difference is in PRICE! For instance, 4 oz of Kale, Blue Curled, is only 3.95. That is a LOT of seed compared to what you get in a little seed packet at a store.

I was a little over zealous and bought 1 lb of mustard seed, 1 lb of Curly Cress, 1 lb of Kat Grass (for my furry feline to enjoy0 and the sampler. Plus 10 trays without drainage holes and a role of Sure To Grow medium for hydroponic growing.

I love that I will be able to grow something so packed with vitamins in the winter.

I am renting a big house on the Oregon coast for my birthday and have 11 of my girlfriends joining me so I can't wait to surprise them with a tasty microgreen salad!
Old April 5, 2013   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

check out the spread on pg 68 and 69 of Johnnys 2013 catalog.

http://www.johnnyseedsonlinecatalog....s13flx&from=2#
Old April 5, 2013   #10
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob, I did prior to purchasing and Johnny's is MUCH more expensive! For example

Johnny's Red Russian Kale 1/4 lb is $12.35 and Growing Greens is $7.95
Johnny's Dailkon Radish 1/4 lb is $5.20 and Growing Greens is $2.49
Johnny's Mizuna is $10.95 and GG is $5.95 for 1/4 lb
Johnny's Arugula $8.45 and GG is $3.49

And so on. Growing Greens seems to have the best prices and a solid reputation from what I have discerned in a short period of time that I have researched this.

Last edited by pdxwindjammer; April 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 5, 2013   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

pdx,
I didn't mean to sound like I was necessarily recommending them. I was recommending Farmette from the above post to look at their catalog to see all the varieties with pictures, since she wasnt sure what kind of greens people were growing.

I will have to check out "Growing Greens" right now I have to many things going on and not sure if I want to introduce a new (but cool) activity.
Old April 5, 2013   #12
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

PDX I like your idea for the science camp. Have several flats already growing that they can harvest and make a salad for lunch, then have them plant their own in some kind of individual "mini-flat" and send them home with it. With luck, one or two of the kids might get quite interested.
Old April 5, 2013   #13
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
I am renting a big house on the Oregon coast for my birthday and have 11 of my girlfriends joining me so I can't wait to surprise them with a tasty microgreen salad!
That sounds like quite a party!
Old April 5, 2013   #14
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Microgreens

I go for any good supplier since you end up with hundreds or even thousands of seeds.Trick is to stagger one/two weeks apart for continous growth and harvest.We go and pick our salads,then we wash/ submerge in cold water then use a spinner type contraption to prepare for our enjoyment.Combination of Chance the Gardeners ANT. project arugalas,ANT.project romaine type lettuce, some peppery rocket arugalas,swiss chard, greek columnar basil,camphor basil,cin.basil,sages,mammoth dills,4/5 parsleys including curly moss,kale.Oreganos,mints I have in hanging baskets.For the wife and I only this was the best way to keep a constant supply of greens versus massive in ground growths that we kept watching it seed,ate by the critters or get laid to waste by the bugs and disease that eventually find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (582.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (364.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (472.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (409.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (561.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by kurt; April 5, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: additions and spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #15
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob - ah, I didn't know who you directed that at since you didn't specify. And yes, it will be a grand party and I look forward to treating everyone to a nice salad with my first microgreens!

Kurt, those aren't micro greens, are they? Looks like herb plants and then baby greens? Micro greens are very densely planted and harvested after first set of true leaves.