Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 18, 2007   #1
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Default Roman Chamomile query

In employing this plant's teas, (Anthemis nobilis)... i have come to love it an truly believe it possesses wonderful, almost magical...useful, beneficial attributes. I'm tryin to grow it from seeds taken from dried flowers...i realize that as a perennial that produces runners...division is a preferred method to establish/expand it.

In lieu of having that ability...here...currently...seed sewing is the only means in hand. Thus...im askin for any inputs from prior growers, as to techniques of germination/ cultivation. Its a herb i caint even recognize...in it's seedling form, due to in-experience . Nevertheless...am attempting to achieve some plants from seed...here, employing a surface sown technique, and keeping a faithful watch upon moisture conditions upon the soil surface.

Any tips, experiences....are highly appreciated
Thanks...)))
Old February 18, 2007   #2
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gimme,
I grew both German and Roman Chamomile from seed a couple years ago, and it was indeed a delight to grow them with my greens. Here's one of them:

Here's what it says in Nancy Bubel's "The New Seed Starters Handbook":
10 - 12 days at 55 deg for German Chamomile
10 days at 70 deg for Roman.
Outdoors, plant German Chamomile seeds as soon as the ground can be worked.
Indoors, plant 2 - 3 months before your frost free date and set out seedlings 2 - 3 weeks before that final frost.
Start Roman chamomile seeds 2 - 4 weeks later, and set out at or before the last frost.
Thin or plant seedlings 6 inches apart.
Average soil ok and mainly wants well drained soil, decent supply of moisture, and a bit of light shade.
Here is sowing info for German Chamomile from Seeds of Change:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...o=PS15868&UID=
I'm not sure how long seeds are viable, but if you'd like seeds for both Roman and German, I have organic German seed from 2004, and Roman from 2005. EM or PM me if you'd like to try them.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2007   #3
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pic...Honu...is that the Roman Type ?
Appreciate the germination tips...a few questions..,did you grow the Roman type into a second season or longer...or were there factors that limited it to one season ? Also....if you grew from seed...you mind tellin the technique you employed ? I have both seed types...an genuinely thank you for the kind seed offer....its Roman that i wish to establish a permanent stand of....hopefully around young fruit trees. Thanks for your inputs...)))
Old February 20, 2007   #4
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gimme,
I think the one in the pot was Roman Chamomile, which is supposed to be the low growing type. These are the sprouting instructions I followed: Start in sterile soil indoors. Do NOT cover -- this seed needs LIGHT to germinate. Cover with plastic wrap to keep moist. I used store-bought potting mix (Gardener & Bloome) with added perlite, moistened w/ Maxicrop seaweed solution, in 2 inch plastic pots because I had those readily available. I sprouted them in my semi-open laundry area, where some indirect morning sun comes in, but filtered by trees, and covered by roof. Because the seeds are so tiny, you need to be careful when keeping them moist that you don't let the seeds sink into the planting mix, or they will not sprout. I used a spray bottle to mist them, and let the bottoms sit in water for a bit to wick up water.

I understand the Roman is supposed to be perennial, but I think it eventually got too hot here, or maybe I forgot to water, but the plant died before 1 year.

Planting them under your trees sounds wonderful. Best of luck to you, and I'll look forward to hearing more about your chamomile and how you use it, and would also love to see your photos if possible.
Old February 20, 2007   #5
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks....Honu....you confirmed what i already had read, but it sure is re-assuring to hear from a actual grower from seed....Many Thanks,,,once Again...

You are dead on Rite...in how Tiny the seeds are...it truly is a challenge to germinate these rascals...))) I been employin the tea in a greenhouse setting, wherein i initially experienced a whole lot of damping off with lettuce seedlings. As i came to see it's Beauty...(Chamomile tea)...i began to broaden it's use. In doing so, i think i understand a twight wee bit about HOW it works...an that little bit...is Wonderous...to me...)))

I can think of no other plant, so Worthy of establishment, and...its simply a desire to make the fruit trees happy, an their Home Beautiful...thru time, as well as augment my endeavors in certain areas...there are no losses...w/it...to me...only gains.

Aint it strange...how little...Scientific Knowledge exists...about this plant ? Thats ok...)))

Its supposed to survive a temporate climate, i dont know about a tropical one, much less my own...just yet...but its a endeavor that can not be ignored in this time...)))

Ty for responses.
Old February 21, 2007   #6
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gimme, It is indeed an amazing plant! I read it also attracts beneficial insects.
"Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs" says, "Herbalists of old looked upon chamomile as 'the plant's physician,' believing that nothing contributed more to the overall helath of a garden. It is said to benefit cucumber and onions especially, as well as most herbs."