Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 15, 2012   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default Kefir

I bought my kefir grains from Cultures For Health, and have been making kefir every day since last week. It is so easy!

Needless to say I am so hooked! Cannot do without my cup of kefir in the morning and at the end of day. It appeared a great substitution for milk with bran cereal, and I am no longer craving sugar.

Now, the 'tough' part. What do I do with all the leftover kefir? Sometimes my kids would drink it all, but sometimes they 'forget', so I need to figure out a good way of turning it into other goodies.

The simplest thing I figured out so far is straining it through a linen or cotton towel for a few hours to make sour cream (smetana). So fresh, creamy, and tasty!

I am thinking I can also make some ricotta or cottage cheese from it.

Any other ideas? What else do you use your kefir for?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Tania,

I LOVE kefir. I responded to your other post about it. I don't make my own though. Maybe when I am off from work this summer I will try it. I actually cook and bake with leftover kefir.

This is from the wiki cookbook online, it describes it better than i could:
Kefir as leavening agent
Kefir can be used as a leavening agent when baking bread, because it contains active yeasts and bacteria. It can be used directly in a recipe, by replacing the yeast and half the water with kefir. Recipes that specify buttermilk or yoghurt can be made just as well (or better!) with kefir.
Alternatively, kefir can be used to create a sourdough starter. Add ½ teaspoonful of kefir to ½ cup flour and ½ cup water, mix well, and set aside to ferment for 12 - 24 hours.

I also use kefir in muffin mix. You can google "kefir muffin recipe" for some good ideas.

And here is a link with some good cooking with kefir recipes, I tried the raspberry coffee cake one and it is good:
http://www.royalkefir.com/cooking-and-baking
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Here is some useful tips, I am going to try it: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/...ese.html#leban

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Use it to marinate meat, bake bread. Make ranch dressing.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I put my grains in heavy cream instead of milk once to culture. Sweetened with powdered sugar. Heaven as a strawberry dip!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #6
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Someone offered to send me some on another forum a while ago-I wish I would've taken them up on it. I still don't know all that much about it, though. I pretty do more research.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote