Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 20, 2012   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Neem Cakes Anyone

I was reading about Neem Oil and came across some information about Neem Cakes and wondering any if anyone is using them? If so does it helps, etc?

Quote:
Neem Cake is the residue obtained from neem seed kernels which have been crushed to extract the oil. Rich in N-P-K, it is an excellent organic fertilizer. Neem cake has been known to enrich the soil and protect the plant. Earthworm populations have been known to increase where neem cake has been applied.
Quote:
Neem Cake has an adequate quantity of NPK in organic form for plant growth. Being a totally botanical product it contains 100% natural NPK content and other essential micro nutrients as N(Nitrogen 2.0% to 5.0%), P(Phosphorus 0.5% to 1.0%), K(Potassium 1.0% to 2.0%), Ca(Calcium 0.5% to 3.0%), Mg(Magnesium 0.3% to 1.0%), S(Sulphur 0.2% to 3.0%), Zn(Zinc 15 ppm to 60 ppm), Cu(Copper 4 ppm to 20 ppm), Fe (Iron 500 ppm to 1200 ppm), Mn (Manganese 20 ppm to 60 ppm). It is rich in both sulphur compounds and bitter limonoids.

According to research calculations, neem cake seems to make soil more fertile due to an ingredient that blocks soil bacteria from converting nitrogenous compounds into nitrogen gas. It is a nitrification inhibitor and prolongs the availability of nitrogen to both short duration and long duration crops.
Quote:
Pest Control
Neem cake is effective in the management of insects and pests. The bitter principles of the soil and cake have been reported to have seven types of activities (a) antifeedant (b) attractant (c) repellent (d) insecticide (e) nematicide (f) growth disruptor and (g) antimicrobial.

The cake contains salannin, nimbin, azadirachtin and azadiradione as the major components. Of these, azadirachtin and meliantriol are used as locust antifeedants while salannin is used as an antifeedant for the housefly.

Last edited by John3; March 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't mind trying both the cakes and the oil IF I could find either locally at a reasonable price. The shipping kills it.

I think the problem with the cakes would be similar to the problem getting coir here -- it comes from the other side of the world !!!

While some people rail against peat and say we should use "renewable", (and there are conflicting statements about how renewable peat really is), just how responsible is it to use something that has to be shipped 1/2 way around the world !!! It takes a whole lot of fossil fuel to ship coir or neem cake all the way from India or the Philippines.

If you know of any source here in the states I would look into it.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #3
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Here is a source:

http://www.groworganic.com/neem-cake-50-lbs.html

I've never tried the cakes, but it sounds great, but $$$. I didn't check, but I think that the shipping is fairly expensive...
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

I found one online source for Neem Cakes. The cold press Neem Oil is sold here at the feed and seed stores.
40 pound bag 69.95 plus shipping which is for me 38.44
http://www.arbico-organics.com/produ...oil-Supplement

On the label it says one application per season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1450405-l.jpg (85.1 KB, 93 views)
Old March 20, 2012   #5
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

I am trying it this year and I ordered from http://www.neemresource.com/NeemCake.html. I ordered it a week ago today and it arrived within four days.

It wasn't cheap, A 5 lb bag was 10.00 plus 13.00 for shipping. I ordered 2 pks/5 lbs each and I think the shipping ended up being 16.00. I wouldn't have tried it just for soil conditioning/fertilizing but I've read in a few places that it helps to combat root knot nematodes which are an ongoing issue for me. If it really does help control RKN then I figure the price is well worth it. But I have a relatively small area to cover. The package suggests 1-2lbs for plots 100 to 160sg ft. Or 180-360lbs per acre so the 10 lbs I ordered will last me two years.

Agro logistics systems isn't that far from me but I was unable to find a local retail source and 50 lbs is a lot more than I need.

ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #6
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

As to Carol's point about a local source, as far as I can tell all the U.S. sources merely distribute neem products which are all from India.
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #7
John3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks ginny for the link.
I have been looking for USA sources and all I have found is that recently some farmers in Australia and the USA are going to try and establish it here. Of course that does not help the prices for now.