Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 20, 2007   #196
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Mcsee, have you been reading my mind?
I was thinking about re-potting the seedlings. I have them in 50mm tubes and they'd go nicely into 70mm tubes. Filled with the better mix I made today.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. It is a bit daunting, though. But definitely worth it.
Old September 20, 2007   #197
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Spatz - I use the 1/3 compost, 1/3 potting mix 1/3 coir mix and ran out of compost a bit towards the end of my potting up. Definitely needed it with some of the later plantings, although they have caught up in the last few days. I gave them an extra three or four Sudden Impact pellets and a good wetting - might be worth a try before you uproot them. The other thing I did was pot them direct into 13cm pots. I usually put them into 7cm tubes first but skipped that stage this year to avoid over handling and they have done b etter than ever. They will 'leave home' in these pots and I'll plant out direct from them either into the garden or into bottomless pots (probably in my newly reclaimed bit of land thanks to my good old bloke and his chainsaw!)
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #198
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

I've decided to do another sowing of a few varieties I haven't grown before - the late start to the warmer weather and the rapid growth on the August 1 sowing is too tempting. I reckon I'll have decent size plants by the time we get back from NZ on 19th November if I do it now-ish. Glutton for punishment I may be !! Can't let the 120 sq meters we've released from pine tree bondage go to waste!
Old September 20, 2007   #199
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzbear View Post
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. It is a bit daunting, though. But definitely worth it.
Sorry - Double posted this message due to page loading problem.

Last edited by mcsee; September 20, 2007 at 05:10 AM.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #200
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzbear View Post

Spatz - I don't like losing any plants and I think you're the same, so I believe you have no choice other than to improve the mix.

I'm sure they'll be fine.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #201
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Spatz, add sand or even perlite to your mix to open it up a bit. I use coir but only in small quantities so as to improve the waterholding capacity.
Maybe do a air-filled porosity test on your mix (look it up on the web) - should be about 15% which is good for fast growth but may need more frequent watering.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #202
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

I agree, open up the mix a bit. Coir is good but can be a bit to much for young seedlings, (found this out myself this year eh). Maybe some aerating stuff or repotting into a cheaper mix with no fert in it. Worth a try
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #203
palerider
Tomatovillian™

Geez, is it a week since i was on the forum?. Grub, I am still making my pots. Lots of clay to play with up here.

I do like Okra , and the burgundy ones from Eden's have germinated.

My time is spent growing and thinking of ways to teach farming in wierd countries to interested people.
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #204
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
My time is spent growing and thinking of ways to teach farming in wierd countries to interested people.
What?! Australia is not weird enough for you?! 8)

Tomatoes:
I have started repotting some of the sadder looking specimen. Hmm... let's hope they perk up. The waterholding capacity of the coir was too much for them. Have lightened up the soil with more compost and old potting mix. Fluffier already. Wish me luck!
(I wouldn't worry so much if it wasn't for the fact that the majority of the seedlings have been ordered and people expect some healthy plants by mid/end October.)
Old September 21, 2007   #205
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicgardener View Post
I gave them an extra three or four Sudden Impact pellets and a good wetting - might be worth a try before you uproot them.
Thanks for all the tips, folks!

Cosmic, I shall look into Sudden Impact. Lots of folks seem to swear by it.

I have repotted about half the lot. Will do the next half in the next 2 days. The soil is a lot better and feels right. Just the way I usually have it. I really don't know why I made the ratio mistake.

Cosmic, soooo which varieties are you going to give a go? Need more seeds?
Old September 21, 2007   #206
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Just shove a couple of pellets in each pot, don't overfeed them, but it even brought Anna Russian to attention. She's about 6" high after skulking around for weeks. The Gregori's Altai you supplied seeds for have also caught up to the rest so I'm rapt.

Stop it!! I'm going to sort out the orders tomorrow, see what's left, decide what to plant, what to give the kiddo's and what to keep for my travelling friends, THEN see what to do about eggies and capsicums for the Ratatouille - Then I might plant a few more toms to fill my gappy garden....
Old September 21, 2007   #207
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Gregoris Altai should power away for you. Its a super early big fruited goody. I found it strange that the fruit smell like tomato vine but it may have just been the year or something.
I am sure your plants will come good Spatz. You have a warm day coming so they will perk up.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2007   #208
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Spatz you have found my problem.
Same thing was happening here with the babies. I'm about two three weeks behind you but I could tell something was wrong with them. I didn't loose any plants but they were not looking to flash.
I pulled one out of its pot and the poor thing was drowning
So I transformed the deck into an ER and perform a swift apologetic transplant into new pots and mix. They are resting now and are looking thankful.

Lomatia, you might just see me and Spatz rock up at your Marysville seedling sale. Nahhhh I think we should be alright.

I finished the Self Watering Test Tub and will post pictures tomorrow. Looks pretty good I must say.

*anxious mum*
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2007   #209
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking forward to the photos. The self-watering idea is very appealing.
Old September 21, 2007   #210
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Gregoris Altai should power away for you. Its a super early big fruited goody. I found it strange that the fruit smell like tomato vine but it may have just been the year or something.
Hi Mantis - Yes, I grew it last year and saved seed, which the bloody mice got into. I had already put the catalogue out and got a lot of orders before I realised I didn't have seed. Spatz came to the rescue with enough seed to finish the orders. It was one of my favourites last year, robust and lasted quite long through the season. Didn't notice any vine smell though. Different growing conditions. We are getting sunny days but only up to 15 degrees and down to 4 at night. The greenhouse is a godsend, most of the toms are big enough to leave home but my customers won't want to plant them out yet, so I'm sort of baby sitting them now.