Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2015   #31
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I grew both Steak House and Supersauce last year. The SH did not live up to the hype (as expected). Porterhouse and Steak Sandwich did much better. Supersauce was fairly productive.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #32
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

SH was just decent tasting last year, yield was good though. I will not try it again.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #33
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
I grew both Steak House and Supersauce last year. The SH did not live up to the hype (as expected). Porterhouse and Steak Sandwich did much better. Supersauce was fairly productive.
Steak Sandwich F1 is a very very tasty tomato, and is available in the USA in the standard Burpee big box displays so it won't cost you an arm and a leg. I manage to it to ripen even in Zone 3a without a greenhouse so in any decent climate it should be a star.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #34
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Edit: But hey, one of the tomatoes I grow is a line I stabilized from Darrel Jones's Big Beef x Eva Purple Ball. Now, there is a real winning tomato right there! Two of the vines I placed in a prime garden spot in 2013 only got 6 feet tall, stayed compact within a 3-foot diameter cage (I did trim back stray shoots), and bore oodles of fruit from early on until frost. Crack free and delicious pink baseballs.
Does said tomato have a name? And if so, any seed availability? It sounds like it might do reasonably well in a container too.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote