Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 26, 2011   #31
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I have scallions planted in a container, the container got knocked over early on before anything sprouted , spilling some of the soil. So, unintentionally some of the seeds got clumped together instead of being in a row as I planted them. Doesn't seem to have affected their growth as of yet, but they're still a little ways away from being ready to harvest
Old January 30, 2012   #32
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

Multiplanting has worked for me. I put four or five plants together and space the groups about 8 inches apart. Harvest was similar, if not better, than the traditional way of planting.
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #33
True Timbers
Tomatovillian™

Default Resurrecting this old thread

Any more feedback on planting onions in groups of 2 of 3?

Thinking of using the same spacing I use for garlic. (6" x 9")... Planting 2 or 3 onions to each hole.

I am starting my onions this year in 200 cell plug trays, and using my Stand N Plant to poke holes in.the black plastic mulch and insert the plugs.

(Other years, I grew the onions in flats and.trimmed and.separated each for transplant. (One can go insane doing that with 5000 plus onions!!!)
True Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote