Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2014   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommendations for Early Tomatoes for Container

I always grow Stupice, and last year discovered Matina for an early variety that I plant inground just before my last frost date. They were moderatley early despite a cold spring last year. I also start two plants in 3.5 gallon free buckets from the bakery that I bring in for the night until it stays well above freezing. Last year I tried Early Annie and Beaverlodge Slicer. Both produced but eventually died from a bad case of early blight. I din't find either remarkable taste wise.

Can you recommend an early flavorful tomato that won't grow too tall without topping off?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

Sophie's Choice, good flavor, maybe gets 2 feet tall, fruit size 4-8 oz
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Sophie's Choice will do well in a 3.5 gallon container. It grows 18" - 24" tall with delicious red tomatoes 2 - 10 ounces. I've had ripe tomatoes from them in as little as 45 days, but my 7B is considerably warmer than your 5. Claud

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...hie%27s_Choice
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Kimberley has always been early for me. Last year I tried Fourth of July and it was larger than Kimberley and kept on producing until the nights were in the 80's. Sophie's Choice doesn't like our heat.

MikeInCypress
Old December 29, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Siberian is the one early variety I put on my MMMM wish list. 55-60 DTM, 2-5 oz. tomatoes, smaller plant. I have not grown it yet, but it sounds like it could be grown in a container.

I have read a lot of basically negative comments on early tomato varieties over the years. Mostly that the early varieties are bland tasting. Well, tastes are an individual thing. That's why I have to try one myself. I chose Siberian because I found a lot of posts and threads supporting it as a good tasting early tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Glacier is a great producer and tastes good too. I had 6 plants last winter in 5 gallon nursery pots and never had a dry spell without tomatoes.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have a thread here asking about early determinate varieties. It has a lot of suggested varieties: www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25071
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #8
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

These have worked well for folks I grow for as earlies in pots
Early Doll F1
Glacier
Independence Day
Kalinka
Kimberley
Lyana
Manitoba
Siberian
Sophie's Choice
Sub Arctic Maxi

I will be trying these in 2015:
Alaska
Orange-1 (aka Belarus Orange)

Last edited by RJGlew; December 29, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,

I'll send a few in your swap package. There is not a great demand for early or determinate varieties this year, so there will be plenty to go around.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you get Early Wonder Pink in your MMMM package, I would recommend trying it. After growing it last year (in a five gallons grow bag), it has replaced Kimberley which used to be my early variety.

I gave a plant to my parents to try last year, and mom has declared that after many, many years of growing Early Girl, Early Wonder Pink will be replacing it going forward.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #11
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I grew Siberian and Earliana last spring and they both produced early and were good tasting. However, Dwarf Artic Rose produced earlier and was more prolific. I grew it again this fall and it produced before any of my other varieties.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have grown a few that were mentioned above and would like to suggest a green I love dearly.
Lime Green Salad.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Early Wonder Pink will be the first of the early varieties packed. It has replaced Kimberley as the #1 early for me. too. I wonder if it's just a Massachusetts thing for being tasty for an early.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #14
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Latah.
The plant is compact (~2 ft), perfect for containers, very early - I've grown Siberian along with Latah, both in containers - Latah was at least 2 weeks earlier.
And did I mention, it is a very productive tomato? It has more fruits than leaves - and this is not an exaggeration, the whole plant looks like a heap of tomatoes with few leaves sticking out of it.
For that reason you have to provide a good support – all those masses of green tomatoes are pulling the plant apart. Next year, I will probably use a cage – stakes don’t work very well.
Taste is very decent too. This is a determinate variety.
One of my Latah's I grew this summer:

Last edited by green_go; December 29, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
green_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Holy smokes! Hmmm I thought I had all the seeds I need but maybe not! That is an impressive load of tomatoes on one plant
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote