Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2015   #1
nnavarra61
Tomatovillian™

Default soil recipe

For many years I have tinkered with the soil in my garden trying to improve the quality. We have a basic planting of tomaters as well as zucchini and rhubarb. The rhubarb is pretty easy just dump a bag of manure on it every winter. The zucchini and tomatoes are getting a twist, my garden is sharing ground with a maple. The last 5 years I have added MG garden soil and tilled it in with dry blue with mixed results. Am going to try mixing peat manure and MG garden soil with topsoil, would love to hear any input from tomatoville. I have always had a fair amount of production but this garden (new the last 4 or 5 years), is not giving the yield I'm used to and options to move it are limited, argh it is frustrating.
nnavarra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #2
troad
Tomatovillian™

I made a planter box for some blueberry plants somewhat near a maple tree. The berrys did okay for a couple of years then seemed to stall. I eventually dug them up. When I rearranged the planting box I found it was full of roots from the maple tree. FWIW.
Old January 16, 2015   #3
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnavarra61 View Post
I have always had a fair amount of production but this garden (new the last 4 or 5 years), is not giving the yield I'm used to and options to move it are limited, argh it is frustrating.
There is a standard reply to situations like this. Get a Soil test! It sounds like you've used up something which needs replacing. Guess work does not work.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes it may be difficult to obtain a soil test in your area. An educated guess made by a seasoned gardener can often be right on the money. The problem is: we need to know ALL the info. Obviously, growing under the canopy of a tree is very dicey. Another item you did not address is compost. It is quite important from everything I read. goodluck
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #5
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

Most of the Land Grant universities (Extension service) now make it very easy to do a soil test via mail. DON'T GUESS SOIL TEST!!!!

In PA. it is Penn State
Old January 16, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

On this site I have seen recommendations from the testing lab that is contrary to what you would expect.

I will sit on the fence with a soil test recommendation and just go with what the soil test shows is in the soil.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #7
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

P....what is a Land Grant university?
Old January 28, 2015   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I agree with this. There are Cooperative Extensions all over my region. I did a quick Google search and saw that in Iowa, check with the Iowa State University for one that is located nearest you. Here in upstate NY, the Ulster extension offers soil testing throughout the year. And at its annual garden day in the spring it offers free PH testing. That's how I learned that some of my raised beds at the new house needed to be made more acidic, which is actually a multi-year project. At minimum you should start with a PH test and you can also buy inexpensive ones at the local garden centers or Home Depot or Lowe's if you have one. If you've been adding Lyme every year without testing, you may have raised the PH too high, for example.

Is it also possible that the growth of the maple tree or other trees may have reduced the amount of sun that your plants get? I had that problem where I used to live, and every couple of years I would have the trees professionally pruned to open up more light.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
P....what is a Land Grant university?
In the US the state agricultural university that runs the extension service is called a land grant university. In Oklahoma it is OSU. But every state has one. They were established by the Morrill Land-Grant acts.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #10
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

thanks red!
Old January 31, 2015   #11
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
On this site I have seen recommendations from the testing lab that is contrary to what you would expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

I will sit on the fence with a soil test recommendation and just go with what the soil test shows is in the soil.
Worth

Soil tests don't show the rate of organic decomposition so really give inaccurate Nitrogen rates in the soil. And many micronutrients are not tested for that could be missing in your soil. I find them of limited use.
For example I had a manganese deficiency in my soil and it was diagnosed through a leaf sample. The soil test told me squat.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #12
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
For example I had a manganese deficiency in my soil and it was diagnosed through a leaf sample. The soil test told me squat.
As with all things there are different standards.
The lab I use offers 3 standard levels of testing, going from basic .PH up to extensive micros. You need to pick the one that suits.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #13
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
As with all things there are different standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
The lab I use offers 3 standard levels of testing, going from basic .PH up to extensive micros. You need to pick the one that suits.
Sounds like a good lab! Some labs do micros, but not all micros. I would be surprised if they tested for manganese.Or say silicon a trace micro nutrient to harden cell walls. Besides a good soil test you need to know your plant too. For example many root crops do better in average soil, versus say all compost. Too much of a good thing can be detrimental. What I also don't like about soil tests is in 2 years it tells you nothing. Soon it becomes cheaper to just go to the grocery store.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #14
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Soil testing would be the first thing to do. See what you really need. Then I would think about some of the following. Cotton Seed Meal, Alflafa Meal, Kelp Meal, and if you can find a good supply Rabbit Manure.
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #15
True Timbers
Tomatovillian™

IMO most of you are ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room.!

The tree!!!..they take everything you put on to amend the soil.. Those tree roots will come right up into raised beds and clean house.

Soil test is a waste of money until you deal with the tree. The results and recommendation will be for a garden not a 10 ton tree, because it is a tree that you are growing.

If your not going to cut the tree down, then you are going to need to grow in big growbags to keep the tree roots from eating all your goodies. If not a barrier, then you got to feed the tree too, so plan on huge amounts of organic matter compost each year. Tree stores carbon, so organic matter is what is missing. Yes?

If you want you could put small amounts of synthetics on with each watering. But it would be better to get some organic matter in the soil to improve your CEC. So the soil can hold the nutrients longer.

So

I suggest large grow bags.

I would grow $5000 + in produce in 15 and 25 gallon bags in an area with aggressive trees.

(Compost them tree leaves!).

Last edited by True Timbers; January 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
True Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote