Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 27, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default 2015-2016 Onion Thread.

Sink or swim I planted onion seeds out in the garden today and will be planting the rest tomorrow.
I dropped the idea of sowing and transplanting and am just going to see what happens.
Well maybe not I dont know.

I will be planting Texas Grano, Granex, Red Burgundy and Yellow Utah Jumbo just because I want to and someone in Mexico said they did great there.

Feel free to comment hijack or what ever.

As the year goes on I will post all successes, failures and pictures here including other neat stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've got no clue how to grow onions directly sowed so I'd like to hear how you do it. I live in a cold climate and have to start seeds indoors by January. The indoor technique is a lot of work but its fun when there's not much else growing. You have to help get them out of the potting soil, get the seed off and give them endless haircuts. Do you do this outdoors too or does it seem nuts to you, Worth?

-Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; October 27, 2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Oh, I'm growing Candy. The seeds are from Menards from last year.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I've got no clue how to grow onions directly sowed so I'd like to hear how you do it. I live in a cold climate and have to start seeds indoors by January. The indoor technique is a lot of work but its fun when there's not much else growing. You have to help get them out of the potting soil, get the seed off and give them endless haircuts. Do you do this outdoors too or does it seem nuts to you, Worth?

-Lisa
Lisa this will be the first time I have ever done it I wont lie to anyone.
I have read till I am blue in the face about weather planting dates and lord only knows what.
I have a pile of seeds I bought last spring and nothing will grow with them sitting in the house.
Most of the stuff I do is against the rules but I seem to have fantastic luck.
I do know the end of October is coming up and that is the shut off date for planting seeds.
I waited due to my hunch about this years weather.
I wanted the first good cool front to come through.
What have I got to lose.

Worth
Old October 27, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm going to keep up with this thread. I am very interested because as Worth already knows, it's my first attempt at planting onion seeds too. Nothing ventured - nothing gained as they say. I figure if everything goes wrong, it only cost a few dollars is all. But I try to look at things more positively. Besides, learning is fun and keeps us feeling young and good inside.

Exactly, what have I got to lose?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post

-Lisa

Same here. The starting of the onion seeds in mid-January signals the start of the year's growing season and something I look forward to every winter.

While I do direct sow what I can (beans, cukes, zukes, most herbs), I have no clue if onions are candidates given that our soil is still frozen well into March/April.

Worth -- keep us posted on how yours do!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015   #6
yopper
Tomatovillian™

MY thinking is gardening is one big expirment. I like to try or plant something different every year. The weather,location & soil type all play a part in what you plant and when you plant it.What works for me might not work for you, but it's interesting to read what other gardeners are doing. YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015   #7
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to plant seeds in the next couple of days. If they grow, I will transplant in January. If not, then I will get transplants from Dixondale like I usually do. I am planting yellow granex and red granex.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just keep seeing things do stuff they aren't supposed to do here according to the books and experts.
Reading about onions it says too little and they die from the cold too big and they put out seeds.
Wild temperature swings and they put out seeds.
I cannot remember the last time I saw a frost at my place.
Freeze yes but not frost.
I look at some of the old PDF files on stuff and they are antiquated and out of date.

Worth
Old October 28, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

So I go out this morning after cleaning out as many weed roots as I can yesterday and planting seeds.
Wouldn't you know it, huge dog tracks all up and down right where I planted the seeds.
I guess it read the package where it said to pack the soil down a little.
There are some people up the street that walk their big yellow Lab mix dogs by letting them run all over the place in front of them.
As long as they leave my cat alone I am fine, but the very minute they bother Smokey it will be another story.
Worth
Old October 28, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay here it is we will call it day one October 28th.
I will try to take a picture every day and make a movie.
60 square feet of onions each row is around 6 inches apart.
I decided not to plant the Utah Jumbo.

Worth
IMG_20151028_10337.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; October 28, 2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old November 1, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

While out wondering around the yard I decided to check on some onion seeds I had spread out on the ground last summer from some plants that had went to seed.
Many are sprouting.
Here is a little entertainment about onions you might find interesting.

Onion Laws.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...onionlaws.html
Old November 6, 2015   #12
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Default Indoor onions started

I started my onions yesterday, indoors. I dense planted about 120 granex onions. I am in nc. First time trying this. Hope to have seedlings to transpant in my onion bed in february. Planted a cover crop in my garden this year. Going to try no till this coming season also. Adding compost, manure, straw, and shredded leaves to my beds this coming year. I have always used onion sets in the past and never gotten big onions. Thought i would try seeds for the first time. Am i too early??
I have some candy onions also that i will plant in the next week or so.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
I started my onions yesterday, indoors. I dense planted about 120 granex onions. I am in nc. First time trying this. Hope to have seedlings to transpant in my onion bed in february. Planted a cover crop in my garden this year. Going to try no till this coming season also. Adding compost, manure, straw, and shredded leaves to my beds this coming year. I have always used onion sets in the past and never gotten big onions. Thought i would try seeds for the first time. Am i too early??
I have some candy onions also that i will plant in the next week or so.
I think you are just in time.
If you read and re read the link about onions It would appear that as long as you could control the environment you could grow them as big as you wanted.
They would never think they were going into the second year and continue to bulb.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a.../oniongro.html

I was just about to give up on my seeds and today they have just now started to come up.

Worth
Old November 6, 2015   #14
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

February seems like a long time to keep them indoors, but i guess they grow slowly. They will be under grow lights and watched over daily.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Onion seeds starting to sprout and garlic picture.
Worth
IMG_20151106_10558.jpg

IMG_20151106_20923.jpg