Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 4, 2014   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default Crash Course Needed

Because of the way the logistics are working out this year I am going to have to grow my tomatoes and peppers in containers. I have no practical experience with them. I don't think my orchids count. So, I need to learn as much as possible over the next few weeks. I am gathering that I will need sizes from 5 gallon to 20 gallon pots. Grape tomatoes in the small ones and beefsteak in the large. I've seen many references to different mediums. I suspect this is like asking who makes the best cheesecake. The only real downside is that I am going to be limited to what is at the local nurseries because it is far too late to start from seeds. I'll be asking questions as I go along. Thanks for any help...

Dan
Old April 4, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Why grapes in the small and beef steaks in the large? You can have large grape tomato vines and small beefsteak plants?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #3
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Just from reading the things I have heard are that the larger plants in bigger pots and smaller plants in smaller pots. Maybe I just misunderstood what I was reading. Like I said, I have no real experience with container growing of vegetables.
Old April 4, 2014   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I don't think you should assume the size of the fruit to be related to the size of the plant. My Cherry tomatoes are the largest tomato plants I grow for instance.

Also, I don't think it is too late for you to grow the varieties you want from seed.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusnexus View Post
Just from reading the things I have heard are that the larger plants in bigger pots and smaller plants in smaller pots. Maybe I just misunderstood what I was reading. Like I said, I have no real experience with container growing of vegetables.
Hey Dan,
I find that the cherry types are some of the largest plants, mine can be 10 feet and longer, with loads of suckering branches. Have you tried Earthboxes, or Earthtainers? These are self watering in that they have a reserve of water, so you don't have to water every day until just the highest heat of the summer and when the plants are largest. Earthbox recommends planting 2 varieties in it, and that works well for me. I have 40 of them. Its even less than "square foot gardening", but so easy. I always say , Earthboxes aren't idiot proof, but they are idiot resistant. LOL! You can find extremely detailed instructions here in the workbench forum on how to make an Earthtainer, similar to an Earthbox, but less expense, and larger, to grow more plants. Also self watering. Raybo, the inventor even has instructions on what to mix to fill it, and how to make cages for it, because your plants are going to be HUGE!
Earthbox is made of a plastic that doesn't biodegrade, so one box can last 20 years.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

D...I got serious last year for the first time with my tomatoes. I had great luck and learned quite a bit. To summarize: Bigger is better ( I like 15 gal nursery pots or bigger. Plan your support system ahead of time. I tried to play catch-up with mickey mouse support last year. Try to think "porous and light" in regard to your planting mix. Read some old threads on how to accomplish this. Maximize hours of sunlight...it is critical.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #7
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I grow all my tomatoes in containers. Here is So. Calif., I use 5 gal. and 15 gal.
containers. Truthfully, I haven't detected any difference in growth or production.
In Canada, I grow everything in 5 gal. buckets with satisfactory results. I now have
about 300 buckets which I get from Chinese restr.s. Believe it or not, they get
soy sauce in them and I get about 5 per week!! I used to drill holes in the bottom,
but now I drill drain holes around the sides, up about an inch and a half from the
bottom to allow for a reserve supply of moisture for the deep roots.

LOL, our .99 cent store had the topsy-turvy planters for (duh) .99 (formerly
about $15), so I am going overboard on cherry tomatoes this summer just
using them. Duplicates of black cherry and sungold will get a right-side-up
planting also.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote