Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 14, 2016   #31
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Does DE work in the soil of containers? I was wondering if it would be beneficial to mix a little in the soil of my containers. I have to many beneficials that hang around, so I don't want to do leaves of anything, but I wondered if it would work on them pesky fungus gnat larvae in the soil of the seedlings.
I would doubt that it would have much effect. The product needs to be in a dry state in order to work on the pests. I use Mosquito Dunks mixed into my water for fungus gnats. It too is organic using Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis to kill the immature nymphs.
Old March 14, 2016   #32
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I would doubt that it would have much effect. The product needs to be in a dry state in order to work on the pests. I use Mosquito Dunks mixed into my water for fungus gnats. It too is organic using Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis to kill the immature nymphs.
I use the same method for controlling fungus gnats and it worked for me all summer last year. I use a watering can exclusively, living in an apartment, so I just pop a dunk into my watering can and let it sit with water in it overnight to dissolve a bit into the water. Very cheap and very effective!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #33
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I use the same method for controlling fungus gnats and it worked for me all summer last year. I use a watering can exclusively, living in an apartment, so I just pop a dunk into my watering can and let it sit with water in it overnight to dissolve a bit into the water. Very cheap and very effective!
Thank you both! Next time I go to town, I'll pick me up some. About how much water to one dunk and how often do you use it, please.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #34
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you both! Next time I go to town, I'll pick me up some. About how much water to one dunk and how often do you use it, please.
I purchase mine at Wally World. They are doughnut shaped disks. I break mine up into chunks that are about 1/8 - 1/4th of the doughnut. I put it in my watering can and then break it up with my hand. My watering cans are 1 and 3 gallons. I use the mix about every 2-3 weeks for indoor plants. I do not bother to use it outdoors. I just water the plants with it normally.
It works quite well for me.
Old March 14, 2016   #35
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I don't understand all the discussion about dissolving diatomaceous earth in water, whether for spraying, or in a watering can. How are you all getting it to dissolve? By its formula, it should be one of the least soluble materials most of us will ever encounter. I've tried to dissolve it in hot water, cold water, 5% HCl solution and each time its solubility is no greater than zero? What is the trick to dissolving it?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #36
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I don't understand all the discussion about dissolving diatomaceous earth in water, whether for spraying, or in a watering can. How are you all getting it to dissolve? By its formula, it should be one of the least soluble materials most of us will ever encounter. I've tried to dissolve it in hot water, cold water, 5% HCl solution and each time its solubility is no greater than zero? What is the trick to dissolving it?
It doesn't dissolve, it's a suspension.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #37
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Im guessing when added to water your making more of an elixer than an actual disolved mixture. The TDS has to be through the roof and the spray nozzle must have to be a pretty big diameter to push it through.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #38
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Im guessing when added to water your making more of an elixer than an actual disolved mixture. The TDS has to be through the roof and the spray nozzle must have to be a pretty big diameter to push it through.
The DE is ground up to a consistency like talcum powder. The fine particles are suspended in the water, but you have to agitate it because some will settle out otherwise.
Very little TDS because the SiO2 is insoluble. Any dissolved solids would be from any ionic impurities attached to the particles. SiO2 does have a very slow reaction with H2O to form orthosilicic acid.
PH range is neutral
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #39
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
The DE is ground up to a consistency like talcum powder. The fine particles are suspended in the water, but you have to agitate it because some will settle out otherwise.
Very little TDS because the SiO2 is insoluble. Any dissolved solids would be from any ionic impurities attached to the particles. SiO2 does have a very slow reaction with H2O to form orthosilicic acid.
PH range is neutral
Cool good to know. I think i will stick with dry application for now since i bought the Dustin Mizer.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #40
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

It's a slurry. If possible put it through cheesecloth, gauze pad, buchner funnel, something that catches the bigger chunks, or place a filter on the intake inside the tank.

The stuff you spray dries and leaves a fine film of Punji-stick DE, ready to greet all insects both friend and foe. A couple of applications can put the brakes on any visitor, although you have to space them far enough to catch all the stragglers (life cycle, nymphs,+...). It is good stuff.

Plays well with other slurries.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #41
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I use one dunk for a 2 gallon watering can. I don't break it up or anything, I just drop the ring in the can, fill with water, and let it sit overnight to leech into the water. I use it outside on my apartment patio, to deal with fungus gnats and mosquitoes (I've heard it's also effective against hornworms). There may be a better way to use it if you have more plants than I do, but it works best for me that way. Last year I also had a planter that was like an EarthBox (no room for it this year) and I placed a mosquito dunk ring into the reservoir which worked well. The dunks are pet safe (my aunt uses them in her horses' watering trough) as well.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #42
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
PH range is neutral
Ok, that explains it. My Diatomaceous earth product is granular, about medium sand size. I use it for seed starting mix.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #43
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Few years ago Robin posted this:
RobinB: “…diatomaceous earth and an empty spray bottle, put one T of DE into a 32oz bottle, fill with water and shake until the DE dissolves. Then spray those plants with spider mites. When it dries you will see a white film on the plant. Reapply after it rains.”

It worked for me.

For the fungus gnats larvae ...
I use mixture of water and Peroxide (4 to 1) on my seedlings 1-2 times a week for prevention or to stop infestation. Just watering soil.
I do dust soil of seedlings with DE as well.

In the garden, marigolds help with fungus gnats. The roots are poisoned to larvae.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Ok, that explains it. My Diatomaceous earth product is granular, about medium sand size. I use it for seed starting mix.
You want to get the food grade DE which is very fine for mixing in water.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #45
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Few years ago Robin posted this:
RobinB: “…diatomaceous earth and an empty spray bottle, put one T of DE into a 32oz bottle, fill with water and shake until the DE dissolves. Then spray those plants with spider mites. When it dries you will see a white film on the plant. Reapply after it rains.”

It worked for me.

For the fungus gnats larvae ...
I use mixture of water and Peroxide (4 to 1) on my seedlings 1-2 times a week for prevention or to stop infestation. Just watering soil.
I do dust soil of seedlings with DE as well.

In the garden, marigolds help with fungus gnats. The roots are poisoned to larvae.
Thanks for that tip on the fungus gnats. I'll give it a try. The fungus gnats are bad outside right now and going in and out they come right on in with you. grrrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
You want to get the food grade DE which is very fine for mixing in water.

Bill
Does it say food grade somewhere on the package?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote