Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 9, 2014   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweetpotato Slips

If anyone is looking for unusual Sweetpotato varieties or even common varieties, I have just updated my website for sweetpotato slips, for the 2014 growing season.

www.duckcreekfarms.com

thanks so much

gary
Old January 9, 2014   #2
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gary!
I ordered from Duck Creek last year and was very happy with the slips. I do, however, have a question. I planted the slips and they grew very well with a lot of healthy vines. But when I dug the potatoes up, the majority of them (white, purple and orange varieties) were very, very thin and quite long. I read somewhere that it is a result of the growing medium being too rich. Do you know that to be true or is there some other possible cause. I want to order again this year, but need to figure out what I did wrong.
Thanks!
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #3
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

It will depend on your soil type for some varieties. I have a variety called Papota that produced a very nice blunt root more like an Irish Potato, but I sent some to Glenn at Sand HIll and on his soil they were long and skinny. I have a variety called Heartogold that is almost alway long and skinny/stringy for me, but just about everyone else can grow it just fine.

Sweets do not need very fertile soil to do well, so don't overdo the fertlizer.

Some of my best producers this year were: Barberman, Bugtussel, Georgia Jet, Razorback, Arkansas Red, Cooks Famly Heirloom, Dianne....ect...
Old January 25, 2014   #4
keesmom
Tomatovillian™

Do you indicate which varieties are sent in an assortment? Which would you recommend for short season areas (New England)?
keesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #5
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I usually send what ever I have available with the assortments. I have many varieties that are not listed and I sometime include those also. Most of the varieties will have the maturity as short, mid or long season in the discription

but beauregard, mahan, and genseng orange are some good ones for shorter season areas.
Old June 6, 2014   #6
walt456
Tomatovillian™

I ordered an assortment from Duck Creek this week. Shipping was lightening fast and the slips are the healthiest I've ever gotten. The communication was excellent and Gary was extra helpful with my questions. I'll be ordering from Duck Creek again next year.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #7
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Just curious as to whether of you have ever grown or tasted true yams like those grown in the islands? I was interested recently in the foods of the islands and South America recently and found Yucca, Plantains, various greens and such, but never could find real yams. Maybe they just don't make it here. As for my favorite sweet potatoes, the deeper red the better as long as they are naturally sweet and not mushy or wet when cooked.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #8
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I just saw your question. I have never eaten a true Yam, They are very long season so will only grow in the very deep south like Florida. I do see them at Asian Grocery Stores, but I am sure they are shipped in.