Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 20, 2008   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Melons so far....including a few heirlooms

Well, the melons are coming pretty fast. So far, here is what we've found:

Passport F1 - always reliable, early and large, easy to tell when ripe, very attractive (mint green flesh shading to pale orange at the seed cavity). Slightly sweet, mild, fairly OK, but always a bit disappointing to us...could be too hot here for it to taste at its best.

Diplomat F1 - new from JSS - large, early, productive, similar looking to Passport, except lacks the orange around the cavity - sadly, we found it somewhat bland, despite a nice juicy texture. Probably never again for our garden....a shame! Again, is it too hot here for it to develop optimum flavor?

Tip Top - heirloom variety, easy to tell when ripe, some big ones coming, productive....we were surprised to find such a large seed cavity/shallow flesh, though the texture was fine - lightly sweet, mild, good but not great.

Blacktail Mountain - pretty yummy! We picked the first too soon (I hate when that happens!), but today was perfect - nice mildly sweet melon, outstanding texture, relatively few seeds, but a nice true watermelon flavor. a favorite!

We await Eden Gem (smallish melon, lots of them out there, not yet ripe), Noir de Carmes (setting pretty well, not too large), and Sugar Baby.

My initial view is that we will be looking for new melons for next year - or, at least replacing Passport and Diplomat.
Old July 21, 2008   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I checked the melon patch for anything but blossoms and discovered the Blacktail Mountain plants have about six small melons. Nothing on the Orangeglo or Wilson Sweet yet.

As for Muskmelons, lots of blooms but no sign of fruit. I just hope we get to taste some of them before winter sets in.

Everything seems to be at least two weeks behind.
Old July 22, 2008   #3
Razorback04
Tomatovillian™

Default When it comes to watermelons.....

Give Willhite Seeds Raspa a shot. I grew it last year and it was outstanding. It had both great texture and great flavor as well. (I know......I sound like an infomercial but no, I don't work for them) The Raspa seed comes in two sizes, large and small, but even the large seeds produce small seeds in the actual melon. I plant the large seeds because the seedlings are slightly more vigorous than the smaller seeded varieties. Last year, I planted Raspa, Big Crimson, and AU Producer and although all three were very good, I'd definitely give the nod to the Raspas as best overall.

This year, I planted Raspa, Sangria, and Fiesta watermelons. So far, none of them are ready but we're getting pretty close. The Raspas are ahead right now in terms of productivity with the Sangrias 2nd and the Fiestas 3rd. Some of the Raspas are already in the 20+ range and they should put on another 5-10 lbs. if we can get one more rain. The Sangrias have a reputation of being one of, if not the best, tasting watermelons of all time, and I'm anxious to put them up against the Raspas in a head to head competition.
Razorback04 is offline   Reply With Quote