Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 19, 2017   #976
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
We have also entered Blossom Drop range, ie 95F. That is normal for this time of year around here and expect it to continue steadily til the end of August. But luckily humidity is not very high.
It's been that way here for a month and it is certainly not normal for us. The only fruit set beyond the first or second truss is on cherries. Oh well, at least those are tasty and the critters can't get at them as well.

I probably jinxed things by buying new canning jars in early spring.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #977
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Hmm, sounds like he needs to come hunker down here in January and February before pulling up stakes. Does brutally relentlessly cold, windy and icy count? The grass is always greener,,, Oh and it is not cold here now 99 with dew points in the upper 70's , probably colder there. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

- Lisa
Lisa, It was 99F with 57% humidity officially at DFW airport (Around 50 miles north of us.)

Here are two sites that might help figure out what it feels like
https://www.weather.gov/arx/heat_index
http://www.csgnetwork.com/heatindexcalcs.html

Hmm, the first site said it felt like 126F and the second site said it felt like 123F here - no it didn't. But...Maybe that's why the heat hit me so hard today? I had been drinking a lot of water and could stay outside only 10-15 minutes at a time. I was moving oak leaves with a wheelbarrow - mostly in the shade, so no heavy exertion.

The local weather says it felt more like 105F - I agree with that.

I forgot to add that my brother did live in Indiana a couple of years...about 10-12 years ago. He liked it there, but his wife at the time hated that she was so far away from her relatives. (I can only guess at what the weather is like in Indiana.)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; July 20, 2017 at 12:08 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #978
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

My ten day forecast. A bit humid for this time of year.

DAY DESCRIPTION HIGH/LOW PRECIP. WIND HUMIDITY

JUL 19 Mostly Clear 80/67° 10% W 1 mph 90%

JUL 20 Partly Cloudy 80°/65° 10% WSW 8 mph 71%

JUL 21 Sunny 80°/64° 10% WSW 8 mph 70%

JUL 22 Sunny 80°/65° 0% WSW 8 mph 66%

JUL 23 Sunny 80°/65° 0% WSW 8 mph 68%

JUL 24 Mostly Sunny 78°/65° 10% WSW 8 mph 74%

JUL 25 Sunny 77°/65° 0% W 9 mph 76%

JUL 26 Sunny 78°/65° 0% W 10 mph 73%

JUL 27 Sunny 79°/66° 0% W 9 mph 73%

JUL 28 Sunny 82°/67° 0% W 8 mph 69%

JUL 29 Sunny 82°/69° 0% W 7 mph 64%
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #979
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Lisa, It was 99F with 57% humidity officially at DFW airport (Around 50 miles north of us.)

Here are two sites that might help figure out what it feels like
https://www.weather.gov/arx/heat_index
http://www.csgnetwork.com/heatindexcalcs.html

Hmm, the first site said it felt like 126F and the second site said it felt like 123F here - no it didn't. But...Maybe that's why the heat hit me so hard today? I had been drinking a lot of water and could stay outside only 10-15 minutes at a time. I was moving oak leaves with a wheelbarrow - mostly in the shade, so no heavy exertion.

The local weather says it felt more like 105F - I agree with that.

I forgot to add that my brother did live in Indiana a couple of years...about 10-12 years ago. He liked it there, but his wife at the time hated that she was so far away from her relatives. (I can only guess at what the weather is like in Indiana.)

Quote:
For humans relative humidity below 25% feels uncomfortable dry. Relative humidity above 60% feels uncomfortable wet. Human comfort requires the relative humidity to be in the range 25 - 60% RH.
According to the weather reports our RH will be in 65 to 75% range for the next 10 days; Not comfortable.

At night when the temperature drops , RH goes up. Well, it is called Relative Humidity.

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; July 20, 2017 at 04:36 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #980
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Try 9 to 10 hours a day in the heat running up and down a ladder, by around 2 it gets unbearable.
That is what I will and am doing for some time now.
I dont want to go to work.
It is no wonder white gringo children dont want to do this type of work being raised in the house with AC all their life.
One guy from Mexico that cant speak has a cleft palate or something came up to me and gave me a bottle of cold water.

I'm working on 3 story wood frame apartment complexes roughing in a fire alarm system.
Job duties include putting in nail in boxes drilling holes driving in hangers for wire and pulling wire all with a hammer and off a ladder.
You simply cant find kids or even people raised in the US to do this kind of work anymore.
The guy working with me just wants to get it done I want it to be right because it better be.
When the sheet rock goes up and it isn't we are screwed or at least I am.
The heat is relentless.
Why do I do it?
Because it keeps me active and healthy.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #981
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Been really hot for around here, 90's and extra dry with wind, it's ripe for wildfires. Little cooler for the weekend, mid 80's.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #982
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

88 degrees and 65% humidity right now with a heat indice of 105-109 degrees again today.

It's hot and sunny out there right now.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #983
imp
Tomatovillian™

Through next Wednesday, over into the 100's, plus since I am surrounded by asphalt and concrete, add a few more degrees for that. The humidity hangs around 55 to 62 % and the winds are hot, out of the SSW and dry. Clear as a bell skies, no rain chances at all.

Even the DPS ( highway Patrol) is issuing heat alerts and warnings. It's not only hard on all animals when it's this hot, but on vehicles, especially tires. I try to do errands early or quite late.

This is often our weather until the end of August. Those crazed bicyclists come in and ride over open roads in this heat for 100 miles; I think it is madness to do so, but they are grown up people and make that choice.

For others in the hot areas, don't forget to drink water and watch those electrolytes, and very importantly, wear a hat!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #984
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Worth, bless you. Don't know how you can tolerate that heat doing that kind of work! And good for you for not taking shortcuts.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #985
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I was just talking with my wife about us needing to come up with foods to cook in the slow cooker or microwave or outside. Cooking a simple bacon and eggs brunch at 11am has the living room and kitchen at 82F. We like 74F a lot better.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #986
imp
Tomatovillian™

I know! I get hot cooking, then my appetite is gone. But sandwiches get tiresome, and even though I love salads, after a bit I want something more. It sounds crazy, but I can make a quick small amount of soup in the vitamix ( it makes it hot), or a smoothie or sorbet. Just a handy tool, especially when it is so danged hot because you don't have to heat up the kitchen so much.

And, being way too fond of Hollandaise sauce, it is so easy and fool proof in the vitamix.

I find myself eating late often enough in the hot months, even with air conditioning. I would have never made a good pioneer woman, LOL!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #987
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Highs mid 90's here, real feel 105. It's miserable. I don't know how in the world the guys cutting my grass stand it. They are Hispanic and always wear long sleeves, long pants and hats no matter the weather. I offer them cold water but they decline, maybe they have a cooler in the truck.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #988
bower
Tomatovillian™

I know we adapt to the heat or cold - up to a point - but I feel like my adapter is busted... I have lived in hot places when I was younger and I got used to it, but now I'm barely able to function here when the humidex gets up to 80 F.
Our relative humidity was up to 78% earlier today and I bailed and cancelled my plans to drive to town when the sun came out as well, also knowing that they're paving the hill today and meaning a long wait or a long detour. Now the humidex is up to 84 F and the temperature at 74, it still feels a little better as the RH dropped to 71%, but I would rather go nowhere only the coolest part of the house.
The temperatures you folks are talking about, I guess it would kill me outright.
I hear you about the cooking and appetite too.
@oakley, sounds like it's perfect for you! So glad you're having good fishing - and safe! Thank goodness they changed the scheduling so people can pick a good day to be out on the water.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #989
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

75 degrees in the house and I am dripping sweat from cleaning the bathroom. I just can't take the sweating at all, lol. I already texted hubby to pick up pizza for dinner because I've decided I am not cooking. Trying to get the house ready for guests coming on Saturday afternoon. All I have left is the other bathroom and some laundry. I think I get to rest tomorrow. Wish I had known they were coming a week ago, I could have paced myself better.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #990
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Those crazed bicyclists come in and ride over open roads in this heat for 100 miles; I think it is madness to do so, but they are grown up people and make that choice.
I'm not going to dispute the crazed part, but it really isn't that bad on a bike. Constant 20+ mph breeze and very breathable clothes. Plus you'll see that most are rather thin, with a high surface to volume ratio for more efficient cooling.

Still, even when I was thinner (relatively speaking) and in fairly decent shape, about mile 80 I'd start to wear out. Always made it home, though.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote