Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 5, 2014   #1
solid7
Tomatovillian™

Default Confused! - Mirid bugs - friend or foe?

I am receiving multiple, conflicting points of view, when trying to determine if Mirid bugs are friends or enemies.

Many of the sites that I look up list mirid bugs as tomato pests. However, just as many list it as a beneficial predatory insect, with some sites even selling it, as such.

I am so confused! My plants are crawling with these things. They're supposedly predators of whitefly, but I can't say that my whitefly population is drastically diminished in the presence of mirids. I'm also not really noticing any signs of damage, per se.

Any advice is appreciated.
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2014   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Default confused

If you have Deraeocoris nebulosus, you're good to go as they prefer other insects as food rather than plants.

http://www.biocontrol.entomology.cor...eraeocoris.php

If you have Creontiades dilutus , you have problems as it feeds on many plants normally found in a vegetable garden.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0.00800.x/full

and can overwinter in other primary host plants found in the area outside the garden.

Hope this makes it a little less confusing. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2014   #3
solid7
Tomatovillian™

I can't even begin to tell the difference in the so-called different "species" of these things.

Nesidiocoris tenuis
Macrolophus caliginosus
Creontiades dilutus

Could be any of them, I guess, and I don't have a camera right now that's good enough to get a snap of them... They're too small.
Old December 5, 2014   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem with identifying them. If you see them in the act of sucking on leaves or fruit I would say you know enough to decide what to do.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2014   #5
solid7
Tomatovillian™

That's just it... They're too small to see them sucking on anything. I thought I saw one harrassing a whitefly the other day, but I haven't seen that behavior repeated.