Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2021   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default best spacing for T posts for garden fence

i just spent a chunk of change at the local tractor supply for fencing supplies for
a new garden patch. call it the wife garden. no one has eight foot posts, so i had
to go with six foot posts to which i plan on attaching eight ft rough cut 2 x 2s to
create an eight foot high fence to keep the deer out of the garden. red brand
fencing will go on the botom, and lighter weight chicken wire will go on top.
i am sure there is optimum spacing for the T posts, but i am not sure what it is.
does anyone know?

keith
Old May 20, 2021   #2
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Standard spacing for line fence is 16.5' (1 rod). That said, if you are fencing for deer, I would halve that, go 8' between posts. Also Keith, I know from experience that while deer 'normally" jump a fence, if it's too high to jump they will go under/between strands of barb wire spaced at 1' spacings
Old May 25, 2021   #3
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

We fenced for deer here or I'd have nothing for us! We had done our own, but then over the years, storms, snow, animals and just deterioration took it's tole. We had a company come in a few years back and install posts into real footings. My garden is 24 x 32 and we spaced 8' on the long sides. The back is spaced less and the front has the door so spaced even closer.

We lined with a deer fencing which has something like 1" openings, but if I had my time back, I would spend the money and line with hardware cloth - at least the bottom few feet. It's heavier duty to withstand more weather issues and would deter the chipmunks. They don't seem to care to climb - they prefer to tunnel or slip through the deer fencing. They are destructive to tomatoes! If the weather is dry and they are looking for moisture and one has gotten from them in the past, they seem to teach their friends. Trouble is, they bite one here, one there, not really digging in to just one tomato but sampling all they can find. The squirrels will still balance along the top of the fence, climb, etc. but they are not as destructive as chipmunks. The deer fencing has kept deer and groundhogs out of my garden though.

If you have not started, I would also lay out a perimeter deterrent down in the ground to at least block off the lazier of those that tunnel. I did it for our chicken coop and is another thing i wish I had done for the garden. Next time!

Post pics when you get it all done!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2021   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Eight ft round treated posts. Sold in lowes, hd, tsc..

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote