Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 8, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Wo-hoo! First ripe tomato!

My 4th of July Stupice was 4 days late, but I certainly can't complain! I just hope that all the plants don't peter out (or succumb to blight) before MAGTAG.

How's everybody else doing?
Old July 9, 2009   #2
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

My first tomato was Malachite Box and it was delish! It was a freakishly large tomato on the smallest of plants but I am not complaining about eating a ripe tomato in early July! The real test will be August 22nd.
-Kim
Old July 9, 2009   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Nothing ripe yet here but I do have some White Current that will be ripe in a weeks time. I am afraid I will be lite come MAGTAG. Only my stuff in pots as been unscathed by the dangerous manure problem I have.

If I am lucky this MAGTAG I will have:
1. Sophie's Choice
2. White Current
3. Persimon
4. Prue
5. Cherokee Green
6. Several experimental types.

I may get a few from friends who I gave seedlings or better yet they may join our event.

I have replanted almost everything so September should be great for me. I have lots of Cherokee Purple tomato plants that I put in pots incase I needed replacements and they are all 1 to 2 feet tall and bushy. Perhaps I will have one of those?

Greg
Old July 10, 2009   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Hey, Kim - Malachite box is a green tomato, right? I don't recall anybody ever bringing that one to MAGTAG before.

The only green I'm growing is Cherokee Green, and I have no idea how to tell that it's ripe. I planted it right next to Cherokee Purple, so I assume that when Purple starts ripening, Green will be ripe around the same time.
Old July 10, 2009   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

hey now!

i'm excited, when mowing the lawn today i noticed 3 orange cherries on my sun gold. nothing else at breaker stage but it is early here. another 2 weeks is about the time i was getting good tomatoes last year. i expect it to be later this year due to all the clouds but i have lots of tomatoes out there.

sadly, the 1st sun golds are sour, mealy or bland. it takes about a week for them to be good so i'm not expecting much.... yet.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Old July 22, 2009   #6
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

My harvest has begun in earnest. I've already picked ripe fruits from Stupice, Polish Dwarf, and Sungold, and a Hungarian Heart that had to be tossed because it was almost completely covered with blossom-end rot (more like total fruit rot). Everything else has lots of green fruit. Even Church, which was a complete dud this year, has a HUGE green 'mater forming. This is the first year I've used those red tomato trays (my friend JanetM calls them "tomato potties", but she has a 3-year-old), and I think they may actually have helped, especially during the dry weather here in B'more. BTW, where are the thunderstorms they've been predicting for the entire month?

I just hope that another 4 weeks go by before the inevitable blight sets in.
Old July 26, 2009   #7
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Malachite Box is green when ripe. Things are starting to happen some good, some bad. I can't count the number of diseases down there, really early this year for trouble. Just like everyone else I guess. I have some copper for the fungal diseases but it keeps raining.
Old July 26, 2009   #8
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

I'm enjoying my best year ever for setting Brandywine (Suddeth). The two plants I have each have at least 40 bigger than a golf ball, and I thinned out probably 20 tiny tom's from each plant today to keep them from getting too crowded. Unbelieveable! I've picked only Sungold, Cherokee Purple, and Kelloggs Breakfast so far, the latter making my first BLT's of the year last week. It's shaping up to be a very good year.
Old July 26, 2009   #9
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Enjoying a bacon and Indian Stripe tomato wrap

George
Old July 27, 2009   #10
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

geeboss, that looks great. I'm at work and I am hungry and tired, I'll take 1 with double the tomato. yum.

neva