Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
bully
Tomatovillian™

Default flavored salts

I love garlic salt, great on a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich or popcorn or.......

Anyway,

Me and the good Mrs Bully were debating on the proper way of making flavored salts.
Neither of us has any practical experience in the endeavour but we each have strong opinions on the proper way one should go about it.

Her idea was to take a fine salt and some of the garlic clove and dice them up into said salt and allow the garlic essence to leach into the salt and flavour it...quick and simple she said.

My plan, believe it or not, was a bit more complex.

I suggested taking the seed pods and tender shoots
(maybe a clove or two but I don't have a lot and don't want to waste them) and putting them in a strong baggie or two and then take them out to my workshop and squeeze the living bejesus out of them in my vise.
Then, one would take this liquid and poor it over some large granule sea salt. After if has sufficiently dried one would pulverize the mass into a finer salt and add to a Waterford shaker.

We ended up with a compromise. I took the seed pods apart with my bare hands, till I got down to the juicy little translucent seeds, these I added to the fine salt and shook the heck out of them.
I know, not much of a compromise but you haven't negotiated with Goodie Bully either!....as I call her...........behind her back.

Now's the time to tell me if the seed pods are poisonous or some such thing.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Bully
I read where you could just put a clove of garlic in a shaker of salt.

You CAN eat all parts of the garlic plant. :wink:

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2006   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Bully. I agree with you; only I'd use a garlic press.

Garlic Recipes - Using Fresh Garlic