Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old August 12, 2015   #1
TommyTime
Tomatovillian™

Default "Taste of Tomato" Festival - Boulder, CO 8/29/15

Info from the Harlequin’s Gardens website: “We will host the ‘Taste of Tomato’ festival & tasting event along with Boulder County CSU Cooperative Extension on Saturday August 29th. There are always new varieties to taste, and learn about. Bring at least 3 tomatoes (or 10 if cherry/grape sized) of a known variety to get in free. It will be held at the Gateway Park Fun Center 4800 28th St. in Boulder 10 am-1pm.”
TommyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2015   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info on the Tomato Tasting in Boulder. We got there a bit past 10 am, ate lots of tomato samples, met lots of people, talked with many more about gardening, and found a few tomatoes I'd like to grow next year.

So thanks for the invite - just wish I could have figured out which person you were!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #3
TommyTime
Tomatovillian™

I am so pleased that you found the info useful and got to taste lots of yummy tomatoes! We actually had a camping trip near Estes planned for the weekend so unfortunately I missed the festival. I've never been so it's great to know it's a fun time. Fingers crossed, I'll be there next year and perhaps we can talk tomatoes then!
Old August 16, 2016   #4
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

TommyTime - have you heard about Harlequin's Tomato Tasting for 2016?

Nothing indicates a return for 2016 on their website.

Please let me know what you find out. Thanks.
Old August 16, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

They've not put out any newsletters for 2016, I've got a feeling it's not going to happen for 2016.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #6
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Ricky. So sad to hear.

I grew one of the 'winners' from this tomato tasting, though they're not red yet.

Maybe we Colorado TVille gardeners should have some sort of tomato tasting and seed swap. share other seeds. etc. if they're available. (?)
Old August 16, 2016   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I had an acceptance speech ready, thanking the heirlooms individually, and gushing about Tomatoville. All lost now it seems.

Yeah guru I'm up for some meet or seed swap, and if you're down this way stop by, we're almost always here. I can PM you the address and phone.
Old August 16, 2016   #8
TommyTime
Tomatovillian™

I just called them and apparently it's happening! I was told that it will be on 8/27 10 a.m - 1 p.m. at Gateway Fun Park! I don't know why it's not on their website...

I don't have the bounty of ripe tomatoes I'd hoped to have by now so I doubt I'll have any to bring. Le sigh.
Old August 16, 2016   #9
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

TommyTime - thanks for that info. I really would like to attend with hopefully some ripe tomatoes. Many of mine were decimated by hail, but maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have some ripe ones to share.

Ricky - it would be nice to see you and your great tomatoes on August 27. We could share a few seeds/tomatoes and you can deliver your famous acceptance speech!

Last year was fun to see what tomatoes people grew.
Old August 16, 2016   #10
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Game on! You'll know it's me, when you hear that Rocky Balboa music playing ahead of the large entourage.

I hope I've got some Orange Russian #117 ready, it's been drop dead delicious. The Cosmonaut Volkov has been very good too, I just don't think it has the visual pizazz to win it. I'm going to save seed from these three and bring some to share. These are very typical of size, with strong production on both plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover171.jpg (78.2 KB, 87 views)
Old August 16, 2016   #11
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ricky - last year we just gave them our tomatoes and name, not letting anyone except the people taking the fruit see the size or shape of our tomatoes. They had lots of people cutting the tomatoes into little bite size pieces so we only voted on taste.

When I saved one of the pieces from last year, I had no idea what it looked like except that it was a black tomato and tasted pretty good. Right now they're still quite green and I don't plan on bringing them to Boulder as they may be a repeat from the previous grower.

As I remember, no one had seeds to share in 2015. Guess you'll have to save them for the swap or me!

I'll know what I hope to share closer to the date. Just tonight I noticed my GGWT has a ripe tomato! Can't wait to try it.
Old August 16, 2016   #12
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Good format, anonymous blind tasting. Not like I'm in it for the attention. Yeah, the CV seeds were for you and TommyTime mostly. Go Tomatoville!
Old August 16, 2016   #13
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Much appreciated. Will bring what seeds I have saved so far for youse guys.

Old August 20, 2016   #14
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Daily Camera: Taste of Tomato lets gardeners sample dozens of varieties.

http://www.dailycamera.com/lifestyles/ci_30228492/taste-tomato-lets-gardeners-sample-dozens-varieties

Incorrect date as Aug26 in the beginning, then correctly identifies as Saturday Aug27 from 10am-1pm later in the article.

A link to last year's results: http://www.harlequinsgardens.com/pla...f-tomato-2015/

Last edited by Ricky Shaw; August 20, 2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: link added
Old August 20, 2016   #15
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the Daily Camera article. We'll be there, just not sure which tomatoes will be ripe - Indigo Cherry Drops for sure, though they won't win one vote!