Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 18, 2013   #31
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Yield

I will be curious to hear your yield numbers per pot, lets say, for those who do not prune and those with multiple plants per container. Very interesting, I could not fit another plant into a pot.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #32
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromato View Post
But JamesL has pointed out that pruning=work, which is a very, very bad thing since, of course, work=time. So I am hoping that the pruning method described by cythaenopsis, early sucker removal, requires less work than conventional pruning techniques.
When your plant exceeds 3', the array of branches can make it a little bit of a challenge to spot suckers. But if you're systematic it isn't too difficult. Generally, I wait until a sucker is about 2-3" long and then pull it. Once beyond 5", it'll become quite thicker and may require a knife to remove. I also try not to pull them when they're really tiny. I've no scientific evidence to back this up, but my feeling is that once the sucker is about 2" long or so and pulled, the plant won't be as quick to try another sucker somewhere else.

Aside from lopping off a couple of lower branches to provide more air circulation and avoid soil splash, the sucker pruning is the only other trimming I've done on my plants and they're doing fine.
Old July 18, 2013   #33
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Pruning is a hot button with many people. I see benefits of both trains of thought. I can't help but believe...if you prune and have less fruit...they will have more vigor directed and be bigger. No proof of this...but it is a fact with many other fruits/veges. Since this thread did get hijacked...I would answer the original post by saying "the bigger the better" on containers.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #34
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing in 20 and 15 gallon grow bags and I decided to plant one dwarf in a 20 gallon bag along with a determinant cherry. I can barely find the dwarf, the cherry has gone berserk and I'm having a really hard time keeping it all staked. At this point I can't move the bag as it sits between two other plants. Not sure how well the dwarf is going to do given the fact it's fighting for sun.
Regarding pruning, I think some varieties might need some pruning. My Cuor Di Bue plants are flowering and putting out fruit like crazy however, they also have BER on several fruits. So I'm wondering about doing some hard work to maybe ease up on the stress. Again, watering and fertilizing is always a challenge. I think if you plant more than one plant per container you have no choice but to keep it really pruned.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #35
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

I think you're both right about it not being a yes/no concern, that it depends upon several factors.

I believe the main premise for pruning on a container plant is to help keep it from overgrowing the container and becoming stressed due to insufficient potting mix to support the root system. I believe the root system will try to grow at least proportionate to the nutrient and water demands of the plant--bigger means more roots.

Doesn't the potting medium provide a few key elements like embedded nutrients for the roots to draw on and a foundation for the root system to secure the plant in place? If the medium is falling short relative to the plant size and attempted production level, I imagine that watering more frequently and providing some nutrients in the water periodically can help compensate.

So yes, adding more than one plant to a container adds to the challenge. It's key to choose varieties that can accommodate the limited space without becoming stressed.
Old July 19, 2013   #36
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I think I need to do some pruning. My potting soil had lots of nutrients but as you know you have to continually add a weak solution of fertilizer when watering every few days. At this point the BER issue for me is either too rapid growth because I might have over fertilized or not enough calcium. I have been very careful with watering. I'm waiting to see if it stops, hopefully soon.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #37
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

^ I'd heard that an unbalanced mix of nutrients can interfere with calcium uptake, which can contribute to BER. Is it possible you have an excess of nitrogen in the soil, or possibly a depletion of phosphorous? Check out what Tomato Dirt has on BER.

One thing I like about crushed eggshells is that when added to the pot at planting they break down over the course of the season and help balance the availability of calcium. Next year I'm going to try a combination of both coarsely crushed eggshells and eggshell powder.
Old July 23, 2013   #38
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Well put. The only thing I can add is my own experience with ornamental potted plants - I prefer plain clay as it seems to moderate temperature. Second choice is glazed pottery.
TexasAngel is offline   Reply With Quote