Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 27, 2007   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Compost beds turns into raised beds

For awhile, untill I reached my limit, I made out of wooden pallets 4 by 16 foot compost beds. For a year I would pile in all garden/yard debris and then the next spring move the pallets to site of next raised bed, after which I'd pitch fork top debris from old bin into new compost bin and start over. Then I'd put border around old bin and I was ready to plant.

I've got some pictures somewhere if anyone needs visuals, I'll look them up and post, but it will cost you. :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2007   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I got the check, John.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2007   #3
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

This is a really great idea. Great work. I will consider doing this if I have space. I've got bermuda grass at my new house. I've read some advice somewhere where someone said they wouldn't add their bermuda grass clippings to a pile. Would you concur with this Earl?

Thanks for posting the picture!
tomgirletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgirletc View Post
This is a really great idea. Great work. I will consider doing this if I have space. I've got bermuda grass at my new house. I've read some advice somewhere where someone said they wouldn't add their bermuda grass clippings to a pile. Would you concur with this Earl?

Thanks for posting the picture!
Well, I'm not Unca Earl , but no way would I personally add bermuda grass clippings to a pile. Especially in a warm clime like yours. Too much chance of picking up some seed (especially if you don't cut frequently), or even some runners. All it takes is a small piece and the right environment.

Vile weed!

I will say that I tend to favor mulch mowing anyway, because it's a great way to give the lawn back quite a bit of what it needs. Mulch mowing is also good for helping to prevent thatch, because organic matter helps to keep it broken down. But I digress.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #5
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze. Unfortunately, my new house has bermuda grass. Am afraid that it and I will not be getting along very well. But yes, I've read quite a bit about mulch mowing working very well for many different reasons and I think that is what I will practice.

I'm not crazy about the idea of having a "monoculture" lawn but I am worried about the bermuda interferring with all of my gardening intentions. We'll see how it goes this first summer, then I might have to get someone in to help me get rid of it.
tomgirletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #6
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl. I am doing this in one of my side beds and was trying to decide what to put around the beds. Not enough sun though for tomatoes. Probably for cole crops.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote