Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2013   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Silver Fir Tree is SOOO Beautiful!

I am growing Silver Fir Tree for the first time this year and I have two plants going. I am smitten with this beautiful little dwarf plant!

Are there any other stunning dwarfs out there? I am growing some tomato plants in my front landscaping and next year will concentrate on dwarfs for this area.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I love those feathery delicate leaves as well! As a contrast, there's nothing as robust and healthy looking as a potato leafed dwarf. It would be fun to grow an ornamental row of SFT plants alternating with one of the chubby PL dwarfs, with a mix of short snapdragons and lobelia for added color to the textures of the foliages.

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I'm now even sadder that my lone Silvery Fir Tree met an untimely demise (stacked to death by a toddler).

Dee, I love that idea!!! I have a whole front bed that's nothing but mulch right now.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #4
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

tlintx, sorry your plant got "stacked?" to death. They are a beautiful plant!

I am definitely going to get my hands on a few more dwarf tomato seeds for next year! They will be perfect in my landscape and won't require cages!
Old June 20, 2013   #5
phonewoman59
Tomatovillian™

now see that is all I grow now is dwarfs because I love them and am growing silver leaf right now ....I sure hope they come to mature and be tomatoes
phonewoman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Stacked... that's when two things (like nursery pots) fit together and a toddler can't resist doing so. Even if there's something (like a tender just planted seedling) in the middle.

I hope you're happy. I just planted more Silvery Fir Tree seeds and started browsing for potato leaf dwarfs. Because I need more seeds.
Old June 20, 2013   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

This is from a couple of years ago. No Silvery Fir Tree, just various extra dwarf project plants. I have a couple of these 2 ft wide beds that front the rest of my rows of 4 ft wide raised beds. I don't normally plan to save seed from these tomato plants since they are so intergrown with the flowers. I love snapdragons!

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Very beautiful! I also love snap dragons! So easy to grow!
Old June 20, 2013   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't consider Silvery Fir Tree a dwarf, as a dwarf is defined by most, but I agree the foliage is beautiful, less so the fruits for me.

If you like the foliage you might want to try the variety Carrot-Like as well as Lucinda, the latter bred by Fred Hempel and I've been offering it in my annual seed offer here.

if you do a search for Carrot-like you might come up with a thread where Andrey, from Belarus, has something to say about Carrot-Like vs Silvery Fir Tree.

Carolyn
Old June 21, 2013   #10
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

tlintx, now I get it! Ha ha! MORE tomato plants and seeds is just what we all need!

Carolyn, I just looked up SFT and it is a compact dwarf so thanks for correcting me. No luck searching this forum for carrot like but I don't find the search engine on here very user friendly. Or perhaps I just need to be taught how to use it.

I am definitely growing more dwarf varieties next year! Perfect for my landscaping project in my front yard as I won't need cages.
Old June 21, 2013   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
tlintx, now I get it! Ha ha! MORE tomato plants and seeds is just what we all need!

Carolyn, I just looked up SFT and it is a compact dwarf so thanks for correcting me. No luck searching this forum for carrot like but I don't find the search engine on here very user friendly. Or perhaps I just need to be taught how to use it.

I am definitely growing more dwarf varieties next year! Perfect for my landscaping project in my front yard as I won't need cages.
The word dwarf can be and is, used in many ways, but if you look at the definition that's used for the Dwarf Project here you'll see that true Dwarfs have a central strong, large stem and rugose foliage and SFT does not have those traits.

Carolyn
Old June 21, 2013   #12
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I love snapdragons! And your border is lovely.

Now I'm mad at myself for not starting any ornamentals. But it's nothing a seed order can't cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If you like the foliage you might want to try the variety Carrot-Like as well as Lucinda, the latter bred by Fred Hempel and I've been offering it in my annual seed offer here.
Thank you for the suggestions! I had considered Carrot-like but wasn't sure it was different enough from SFT to bother with. And I can't seem to find Lucinda anywhere. Does that one have more to recommend it?
Old June 21, 2013   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
I love snapdragons! And your border is lovely.

Now I'm mad at myself for not starting any ornamentals. But it's nothing a seed order can't cure.

Thank you for the suggestions! I had considered Carrot-like but wasn't sure it was different enough from SFT to bother with. And I can't seem to find Lucinda anywhere. Does that one have more to recommend it?
Lucinda is a green when ripe variety bred by Fred Hempel. Tania doesn't list it yet but if you Google it you'll see some reports about it.

I don't know if Fred is currently selling seeds for it but I'm pretty sure I have enough seeds to offer it in my next annual seed offer here.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2013   #14
lonesomemesa
Tomatovillian™

Did containers down the walk filled with Tiny Tim's and Silver Fir Tree....quite the entry way and they are bearing like crazy!
lonesomemesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

For any who like the looks (and tangy taste) of Silvery Fir Tree try a newly created OP called Flamenco available thru NativeSeeds.org. A cross of SFT and one of the Florida heat set, might be Floridade. I am growing two this year in an Earthbox. Since I got them out late I will see how truly "heat tolerant" they are.

Last edited by Sun City Linda; June 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote