Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 17, 2017   #241
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt if it was me that started the seed F wilt question I cant remember the answer one way or the other.
As for clothes I dont have many either and my socks are wore out.
I chose not having money and being happy over stress and jackasses.
It is still hard for me to get used to not seeing people chewed out, questioned and in trouble all of the time.
The pecan orchard saddens me.
So many people have no idea how hard it is to grow a good crop of pecans much less any other kind of fruit.
There was one planted in a yard down the street a few years ago.
A hack berry tree sprouted right next to it,
The hack berry choked out the pecan tree but it was still growing and they cut it down and now there is a trashy hack berry tree growing there.
Idiots.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #242
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Salt... Check this out. I was curious myself and so did a play on Fusarium words. Especially read the last two sentences. It tells how they destroyed the fusarium with seed drying.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ersici_race_J3

This publication recommends rotation of plants every 4 years to help with the fusarium.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0797/ANR-0797.pdf

Here a good one from Clemson University. Just scroll down to the Fusarium Wilt section and at bottom of page there tables for tolerant types of tomatoes for some of the different diseases to include Fusarium.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2217.html

Personally, I think your seed probably safe after what I been reading. I'd grow your seed in a heartbeat. You ferment, you dry and maybe if you want to do an extra step of protection do the Cole_Robbie method too with the oxy clean.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #243
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

When the discussion about any transmission of F from seeds came up, I believe the consensus was that fermented seeds were safe to share even if the plant was affected by fusarium. I've always fermented then bleach soaked.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #244
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt if it was me that started the seed F wilt question I cant remember the answer one way or the other.
As for clothes I dont have many either and my socks are wore out.
I chose not having money and being happy over stress and jackasses.
It is still hard for me to get used to not seeing people chewed out, questioned and in trouble all of the time.
The pecan orchard saddens me.
So many people have no idea how hard it is to grow a good crop of pecans much less any other kind of fruit.
There was one planted in a yard down the street a few years ago.
A hack berry tree sprouted right next to it,
The hack berry choked out the pecan tree but it was still growing and they cut it down and now there is a trashy hack berry tree growing there.
Idiots.

Worth.
My socks are worn out too. I have to buy the kind they call tube socks that go up to right below your knees. I need the support, but they cost almost $13 a pack.

The pecan orchard saddens me too. The owners could be making money from them, but chose to let the trees die.

I'm making myself take the day off - there has been a lot of bad news here lately. We lost our two adult cats 3 days ago to predators. Our first born son is losing his house and has to move by August. He let credit go to his head. They have come up with two ideas.

One idea would be him moving his wife and family into Jan's sewing building (It is large). It would mean storing all of the sewing stuff in a separate building - there's a whole lot of it including at least 5 sewing machines that I know of, tables, etc.

Or idea two is our youngest son moving in with them to help pay the bills. He doesn't want to do that - he knows exactly what will happen. He also loves living out here - he helps me keep this place going, and he uses this property for all the good things it brings.

As their parents, we are perplexed, but will do what we can to help.

Throw all of that on top of me working so much on our master bedroom, my health problems, and Jan's - I am both physically and mentally exhausted. If my posts seem different than usual - the above is why.

I'm going to look up some FFFN varieties of tomatoes today. I'm hoping to find some that are Indeterminate - most of what I've read about are Determinate varieties.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #245
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am trying to research what plants are affected by fusarium wilt. From this site http://www.tomatodirt.com/fusarium-wilt.html

Rotate crops. The fusarium fungus can survive indefinitely in the soil. Plant tomatoes no more than once every four years in the same spot. Avoid planting other Solanaceous crops (potato, pepper, and eggplant) in the same area, too – they are susceptible to the fungus. EDIT: I found all kinds of other sites saying the same about Potatoes, peppers, and eggplants. So far, nothing about other vegetables.

This came from this site http://www.gardeningchannel.com/vege...e-buying-list/
Melon Disease Resistance Seeds

Diva: Fusarium Wilt Race 0, 1 or 2
Sarah’s Choice (F1): Fusarium Wilt Race 0, 1 or 2, Powdery Mildew

Last edited by AlittleSalt; July 17, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 17, 2017   #246
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
When the discussion about any transmission of F from seeds came up, I believe the consensus was that fermented seeds were safe to share even if the plant was affected by fusarium. I've always fermented then bleach soaked.
How you do your bleach soak part? Funny read that you do a bleach soak after fermenting as I went and looked at my container of Oxy Clean and it says no bleach in it and I thought to myself, bleach would be a whole lot better.
Old July 17, 2017   #247
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
How you do your bleach soak part? Funny read that you do a bleach soak after fermenting as I went and looked at my container of Oxy Clean and it says no bleach in it and I thought to myself, bleach would be a whole lot better.

I follow the instructions posted here by ContainerTed -- http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...g_Fermentation
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #248
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am trying to research what plants are affected by fusarium wilt. From this site http://www.tomatodirt.com/fusarium-wilt.html

Rotate crops. The fusarium fungus can survive indefinitely in the soil. Plant tomatoes no more than once every four years in the same spot. Avoid planting other Solanaceous crops (potato, pepper, and eggplant) in the same area, too – they are susceptible to the fungus.

This came from this site http://www.gardeningchannel.com/vege...e-buying-list/
Melon Disease Resistance Seeds

Diva: Fusarium Wilt Race 0, 1 or 2
Sarah’s Choice (F1): Fusarium Wilt Race 0, 1 or 2, Powdery Mildew
One thing I noticed in that Clemson University link I sent you that ones with tolerance for RNK are

Big Beef, Better Boy, Jetsetter, Mountain Merit

for all 3 races of fusarium

BHN 640. This one I have seen mentioned before and think it is the one I wondered if anybody else had tried yet.

Crista
Top Gun
Tasti-Lee
Charger
Solar

I know there a few folks here that growing or grown Mountain Merit. I think somebody here was growing or offering seeds of Tasti-Lee at one time. I know I have commercial seeds of Better Boy I can send you to try and see what it does in your area against all three fusarium races.

There only one disease that scares me and that is Sclerotia. To me it the nastiest of everything out there.
Old July 17, 2017   #249
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Star, I ended up planting 5 tomato plants today like you wrote about with the Epsom salt and I had to use Plant Tone instead of Tomato Tone because we don't have the extra money with all that's going on. Two are Campari F2s, so who knows what will happen with those? However, I did plant one Big Beef F1, one Sweetie, and one Japanese Pink Cherry like I said I was going to. They're in the second bed

In the third bed, I planted the same varieties as I did in the second bed, but I used what is in the picture.

The forth bed, I planted the same stuff but used nothing but water and soil. I plan on fertilizing it with Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51X1GNgPt3L__SX355_.jpg (24.7 KB, 73 views)
Old July 17, 2017   #250
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I did look up some tomatoes today:

FFFN Tomatoes

Amelia VFFFNSt TSWV Det https://www.totallytomato.com/P/0003...+Hybrid+Tomato
Dixie Red VFFFNA Det http://www.tomatogrowers.com/DIXIE-R...ductinfo/5695/
Mountain Merit VFFFN Det http://www.tomatogrowers.com/MOUNTAI...ductinfo/2824/
Valleycat VFFFNTSt Det https://www.totallytomato.com/P/0078...+Hybrid+Tomato

Seeds N Such https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product-c...eeds/tomatoes/

Amelia VR Hybrid VFFFNTSt Packet (10 Seeds) 75 days Determinate

Dixie Red VFFFNAStTswv Hybrid Packet (10 seeds) 70 days Indeterminate

Mountain Merit Hybrid VFFFNTswvEbLb Packet (10 seeds) 75 days Determinate

Skyway VFFFNTswvTylc Hybrid Packet (5 seeds) 78 days Determinate

At Seeds N Such, these 4 varieties would end up costing around $15

And these are just ideas for now. If any of you know about the varieties I looked up today, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences..
Old July 18, 2017   #251
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well I hope that the address I had was correct, because, you have 4 packs of seeds on their way to you from Seeds and Such.

Nobody here is more deserving of these seeds that YOU. I hope that they work out and give you something that tastes like a tomato. If not, Oh Well.......
Old July 18, 2017   #252
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hugs Patti It took me forever to reply tonight. I was PMing you before I ever saw this, and it took a while. I cannot say, Thank you enough.
Old July 18, 2017   #253
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Star, I ended up planting 5 tomato plants today like you wrote about with the Epsom salt and I had to use Plant Tone instead of Tomato Tone because we don't have the extra money with all that's going on. Two are Campari F2s, so who knows what will happen with those? However, I did plant one Big Beef F1, one Sweetie, and one Japanese Pink Cherry like I said I was going to. They're in the second bed

In the third bed, I planted the same varieties as I did in the second bed, but I used what is in the picture.

The forth bed, I planted the same stuff but used nothing but water and soil. I plan on fertilizing it with Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 in a few weeks.
When that Dynamite food came out, I had several free samples of it. Me personally I didn't care for it. Didn't do a thing for me. I used to use Osmocote for in ground plants and then I switched to Vigrow (sp) from Home Depot. it about 8 bucks cheaper than Osmocote and seems to work better.

If you have a thrift store near by, get a cheap piece of sheer curtain material to provide a bit of shade for those plants at least til they get bigger. If you have any in the house, maybe your wife won't notice if one or two missing for a few months.

Gonna keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully something will grow or work out.
Old July 18, 2017   #254
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Plant tomatoes no more than once every four years in the same spot.

Really?

Might work for someone with a Green Acres or King Ranch spread, but, can't the land-challenged enjoy a tomato, too?

Good luck with the new seeds and inspirations.

Last edited by swellcat; July 18, 2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Space went to Hades.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #255
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post

Really?

Might work for someone with a Green Acres or King Ranch spread, but, can't the land-challenged enjoy a tomato, too?

Good luck with the new seeds and inspirations.
I have that same question. My understanding is to rotate your crop and not plant again in the same spot for the same year. If that works great, but I have space challenge too and I can't see going even that long without planting again in the same spot without at least twice per year. I can rotate once and then I have to rotate back to the same containers.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote