Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 25, 2013   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Weather Question

I have had good luck this year with Sweet Success Cukes. I would like to plant some more. Would June and early July heat be too much for them to set here in Houston. They would get morning sun only and are in an area where I have a drip line. Thanks.

MikeInCypress
Old May 26, 2013   #2
whistech
Tomatovillian™

MikeInCypress, according to A&M, now is not the time to plant them. They say a "marginal planting" window is open in July for fall cucumbers. If it were me, considering you have afternoon shade, I would give it a try. Just remember that cucumbers require lots of water.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The problem with trying to set out cucumbers this time of the year is keeping the pests off of them. Whiteflies and spider mites can do a real number on them in the heat of summer. I have had some success planting them among my tomato vines and letting them run up the trellis. I think the tomato foliage keeps it a bit cooler; but the cucumber vines can be aggravating sometimes. It seems they always want to grow in the tomato plants themselves instead of on the trellis.

Make sure you mulch them heavily and fertilize and water frequently. The cucumber variety that has done the best for me in the heat of summer has been Sweet Success followed closely by Poona Keera.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

For Houston, Dr. Randall suggests the first two weeks of August:

http://www.settfest.com/files/DrBobRandallCalendar.png

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote