Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 8, 2012   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Wouldn't you just know it..cukes

Sorting through seeds I came across some VERY expensive UK seeds of Carmen cuke, they cost about $2 dollars a seed, and I was cross because the seeds were from 2004 and I had not used them

Chuck them was my first thought, neah can"t do that I said to myself, I will sow them and maybe with a bit of luck I might get one which I can baby along even though it is too early..I said.

Yep, the whole lot except one have germinated and I have Carmen cukes aplenty.

Isn't it just the way.

Now I have to hope I can somehow keep them going at home till I can get them into a cool greenhouse and then hold them till folks at our gardens can plant them. Gallon buckets spring to mind.

Such is the joy of sowing.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2012   #2
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

That's great! Yikes, should I already be thinking about starting cucumbers? I still need to order some cucumber seeds... Maybe I'll order some from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds...

Why are Carmen cucumber seeds so expensive?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2012   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

They are a UK bred hybrid from Thompson and Morgan.It is a fantastic cuke, my favourite long English type. I am very thrifty when it comes to seeds so when Thompson and Morgan did a 50% off seed + first packet free and no postage I stocked up. I was in the UK at the time.

It is a terrific grower, all female, loaded with fruit and great taste,plant never seems to get anything wrong with it. I always grew 2 very early cukes and potted them on and on till in great big pots in the house waiting to go out, this gave me a head start till the regular planted ones came along. This way I got very early cukes.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote