Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 6, 2010   #1
maggie c
Tomatovillian™

Default Curly top, I think

I've had all my tomato seedlings out on the back porch. A few weeks ago I noticed that some of the leaves of the very small seedlings were looking funny - shriveled or curled in on themselves. I'm still somewhat new to growing tomatoes from seed. Now it seems to be spreading, and many of my seedlings seem to be affected. They are stunted, with very odd shaped, curly, textured looking leaves. They are only at the one or two true leaf stage, but they look very strange. I'd post pics, but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work yet.

I did some research and saw that it is spread by whiteflies. We also have had a lot of rain lately, but the leaf problem started before the rains began. I have gone ahead and put the tiny seedlings that did not look affected in the garden, trying to segregate the sick looking ones from the healthy looking ones and getting rid of the sick ones. But I would dearly love some practical advice. Are they all going to get sick? Are any salvagable - or should I expect even my now-healthy ones to succumb? Should I get rid of anything that begins to look funny? What should I do?

Advice, please!!!
maggie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #2
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll get a ton of help once you get a pic or two up. Just 'add attachment' to your post. I am not qualified to help you on this matter unfortunately. good luck .

matt
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

If the ones in the garden are infected, they will be runts and turn yellow. If you get new green normal leaves on the garden plants, you probably will be ok. The leaves can curl sometimes when there is a deficiency.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote