Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2017   #1
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Idea What Variety this Might Be?

In the 2014 MMMM I received two packets of seeds labeled Maglia Rosa. I don’t know who sent them in. I grew plants from both in the summer of 2015. One was true to type and the other was a very strong growing, rangy indeterminate that produced large numbers of bright orange, cherry-size, very sweet, great tasting fruits. I saved seed because I thought it was the best tasting cherry tomato I’d grown. I had both Sungold F1 and SunSugar F1 growing in the same garden and liked the unknown better than either one. I labeled the seed “Maglia Rosa (NOT)” because I didn’t know if it was a random cross or something mislabeled. But I was sure it wasn’t Maglia Rosa.

I grew it out again in 2016 and 2017. It was true to type both years - and outproduced any other cherry I grew both years. I assume it must be a stable OP that was mislabeled by someone and sent in to the swap – but I have no idea what variety it is.

Both seasons, I thought it was the best tasting cherry in the garden - and I grew Sungolds, most of the Ambrosias and several others cherry varieties those years.

The photo shows - from right to left - various stages of ripeness with the fully ripe on the left. It also has good shelf-life.

What variety might it be? I hate having multiple names on the same variety - and this one is too good not to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maglia Rosa NOT.jpg (92.1 KB, 219 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
In the 2014 MMMM I received two packets of seeds labeled Maglia Rosa. I don’t know who sent them in. I grew plants from both in the summer of 2015. One was true to type and the other was a very strong growing, rangy indeterminate that produced large numbers of bright orange, cherry-size, very sweet, great tasting fruits. I saved seed because I thought it was the best tasting cherry tomato I’d grown. I had both Sungold F1 and SunSugar F1 growing in the same garden and liked the unknown better than either one. I labeled the seed “Maglia Rosa (NOT)” because I didn’t know if it was a random cross or something mislabeled. But I was sure it wasn’t Maglia Rosa.

I grew it out again in 2016 and 2017. It was true to type both years - and outproduced any other cherry I grew both years. I assume it must be a stable OP that was mislabeled by someone and sent in to the swap – but I have no idea what variety it is.

Both seasons, I thought it was the best tasting cherry in the garden - and I grew Sungolds, most of the Ambrosias and several others cherry varieties those years.

The photo shows - from right to left - various stages of ripeness with the fully ripe on the left. It also has good shelf-life.

What variety might it be? I hate having multiple names on the same variety - and this one is too good not to share.
I suggest that you share your post and pictures with Fred Hempel, source of Maglia Rose, and ask his opinion.

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2017   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The fruits in the photo look different than pretty much everything we grow. I would guess it is a seed mix-up that occurred somewhere else.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Dan if you are sharing I would love to try them if they aren't splitters like sungolds are.
Old May 5, 2017   #5
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Is it a bad idea to give it a name yourself? If it is so tasty and sweet it would be a pity not to give it an identity.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #6
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Dan if you are sharing I would love to try them if they aren't splitters like sungolds are.
PM me your address and I'll send you some. I'm not a fan of Sungold. They're OK, but not great. These are my favorite of any cherry I have grown.
Old May 6, 2017   #7
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann123 View Post
Is it a bad idea to give it a name yourself? If it is so tasty and sweet it would be a pity not to give it an identity.
I'm sure there are a lot of varieties that got their name just that way. They are actually a named variety, but got mixed up and ended up with two names.

Perhaps I'll send seeds to a few different people to see what they think. I have one other member growing it this summer. If they like it as well as I do, we can come up with a name.

Last edited by dfollett; May 6, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 6, 2017   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
PM me your address and I'll send you some. I'm not a fan of Sungold. They're OK, but not great. These are my favorite of any cherry I have grown.
thanks, Dan. Sungold splits! I can't hardly get any picked without them splitting. even green they seem to have high percentages of splitting.
Old May 6, 2017   #9
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
thanks, Dan. Sungold splits! I can't hardly get any picked without them splitting. even green they seem to have high percentages of splitting.
Seeds sent. You can help determine if it is a cross or stable. I have only grown three plants, one each the last three years. My year-to-year memory is not good enough to say they were identical, but I know I liked it each year.

I sent seeds saved in 2015 and 2016 - not sure where the 2017's are.
Old May 6, 2017   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thank you. I will give it a try. I assume you planted them out and not in a tunnel or greenhouse? I am planning on in a tunnel or greenhouse. where ever I have room.
Old May 6, 2017   #11
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't think this one has that problem. But I've never grown it for market and always have too many, so if I see a split one I toss it. Hope it does well for you. It really grows wild and produces heavily (at least here).
Old May 7, 2017   #12
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

To your original question, those might be one of the Ambrosias - they're really tasty and productive.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #13
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
To your original question, those might be one of the Ambrosias - they're really tasty and productive.
Thanks for the input, but I've grown Ambrosia Orange, Ambrosia Gold, Ambrosia Red and Ambrosia Rose. In my garden, it's different from all of them.
Old May 9, 2017   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks Dan. seeds are going to the greenhouse as soon as I am done typing this.