Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2014   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default A Little Girl's Experiment Growing Sweet Potato Vines

Saw this on FB. Had to share...

http://shar.es/UfL3E

A little girl decided to do an experiment with a sweet potato, and her results will change the way you think about the fruits and vegetables you buy at the grocery store.

This message was sent using ShareThis (http://www.sharethis.com)
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Cute kid!
Over 25 years ago I worked a winter season for a neighbor who grew regular potatoes, and vividly remember him saying that folks who bought his potatoes intending to plant them in their gardens would be very disappointed, because the ones he still had in storage come spring came from plants that had been sprayed before harvest so they would keep better and not sprout in storage. I don't recall what the chemical was, or if he even told me, but it must have been something similar. So this stuff, or something like it, has been around for a long time now.
Old January 17, 2014   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That girl is absolutely adorable. Our future scientists!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My resources tell me that she might be a very small 23 year old research scientist.
It is said she works for Monsanto to help promote their new line of GMO organic seeds it is said they may have.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sweet!

Thankfully, as far as I know, our produce is not being sprayed - so even regular (non-organic) potatoes from the grocer store can be used as seed tubers (have done it, and it worked well)

A bit alarmed now about the budnip residues in the American sweet potatoes. As a huge fan of that vegetable, I wonder if I should stop buying it altogether. It's a staple vegetable in our supermarkets year round. The other country of origin is Israel, and I don't think those are any less 'treated'.
So, I might have to stick with local winter starchies... no more roasted sweet potatoes unless I happen to find them organic.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote