Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 28, 2016   #1381
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Me me me me me me me!!!!!! I bought dried mango here at Trader Joes and thought of you. It was absolutely no comparison to yours. I wouldn't ask because I know a lot of people are probably on the list but yay! You offered and I would love some!

Whoo hoo!

I want a Mango tree now but I don't think it will grow where I am (soil and all) and I don't know how long we will be there.

Thank you!!!!!!

Ginny
Marsha's is the best!!!! We are so lucky!!!

Ginny - your climate should be fine for a mango tree: I found this:

Mango trees require consistent warm temperatures. They don't tolerate long-term frost or cold conditions. If temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, even for short periods, the cold may kill both flowers and small fruits. Mature trees may be more capable of surviving colder temperatures, as low as 25 degrees F, but only for brief periods. Young trees are likely to suffer severe damage any time temperatures drop below 30 degrees, even if only briefly. Mango trees are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture zones 10 and 11.

----
I've had my Kent for 3.5 years now so it is still a small tree. I bought it in February and that spring, it produced 4 Full Size Kents.

-------------------------------------
BTW - I was at Publix today and there was a bin of Mango's when you walk in. They weren't pretty at all; I guess I never noticed how they looked before.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1382
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Got a little excited like Horshack on What's up Kotter... :-) I have tried Mango a few times since I got some from you before and it's not the same. Must be preservatives or something.

Thank you again!

Ginny
Those dehydrated that you buy at the store are loaded with sugar and have a lot of fiber.
Mine are a fiberless mango that I slice thin, and dehydrate, no sugar or anything added. Also my variety consistently wins first or second place in mango tastings every year at Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I am putting a better product in to start.
Horshack, I remember him. So funny!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1383
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Those dehydrated that you buy at the store are loaded with sugar and have a lot of fiber.
Mine are a fiberless mango that I slice thin, and dehydrate, no sugar or anything added. Also my variety consistently wins first or second place in mango tastings every year at Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I am putting a better product in to start.
Horshack, I remember him. So funny!
Oh that makes sense. I made sure to buy some with no sugar added but some of them are like chewing on a book cover... definitely not like yours.

:cool:

Oh found this in the bottom of the crisper drawer. Still dont taste good... lol.

By the way, congrats on the wins in the tasting contests.. definitely well deserved!!

Last edited by Fiishergurl; July 28, 2016 at 03:51 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1384
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha's is the best!!!! We are so lucky!!!

Ginny - your climate should be fine for a mango tree: I found this:

Mango trees require consistent warm temperatures. They don't tolerate long-term frost or cold conditions. If temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, even for short periods, the cold may kill both flowers and small fruits. Mature trees may be more capable of surviving colder temperatures, as low as 25 degrees F, but only for brief periods. Young trees are likely to suffer severe damage any time temperatures drop below 30 degrees, even if only briefly. Mango trees are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture zones 10 and 11.

----
I've had my Kent for 3.5 years now so it is still a small tree. I bought it in February and that spring, it produced 4 Full Size Kents.

-------------------------------------
BTW - I was at Publix today and there was a bin of Mango's when you walk in. They weren't pretty at all; I guess I never noticed how they looked before.
I think I will have to give it a try. Probably should plant it in March so it has a chance to get settled before winter.

Ginny
Old July 28, 2016   #1385
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have to buy a house first. Than I will plant few trees (mango, persimmon, fig, clementines, and some other once) even if we would not move there right away, the trees can grow for couple of years. I need bigger property. Not a big house. Just enough land. mhm
Girl can have a dream.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1386
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Prior to this summer, I used 2 or 3 gallon Root Pouches or a Blue Walmart bag.

This summer, I've had a lot of 5 gallon RP (from Dwarf tomatoes) so have been using those for anything that was planted after tomato season.

All Root Pouches have been top watered.

I have more pepper plants than I've ever grown.

I also have 2 Walmart Blue Bags; I put a container lid underneath for the water / wicking. The 'reservoir' is very shallow. I also put a small upside down colander in the blue bag so wicking is not over the entire bottom.

I will take pictures later; The bottom stems are HUGE.... These pepper plants are so healthy; only the yellow sticky traps, no spraying.

I also did a BIG upside down colander in the Root Pouch with the one Cucumber Plant too. Only watering and feeding that from the bottom. Prior seasons, I 'fed' from the top....I think this (Colander / water ONLY from the Bottom) has helped a ton with not getting root rot. Also, for the 2 Cuke plants in the EB, I'm adding water based on the tray of the Root Pouch. I let is go dry for several hours and only add water that is wicked up in a short time.

We have not had rain in 4 weeks so it is easy to monitor the amount of water these plants are getting. Prior to that we had rain twice (a lot) in 2 months.

With this AMs cuke picking, reached 204!!!!
Holy cow, 204 cukes? How many do you get per plant?

Thanks for the info on the pouches. I would live to be able to grow fall peppers. Definitely going to try.

A guy that works for my husband at the job site has a family farm. He brought in sun sugar tomatoes and huge squash and zuchhini. I'm going to make that sungold pasta recipe for dinner with some squash and sauteed spicy sausage for dinner. I remember you said it dries out quickly so will keep that in mind.

Thats a quarter next to the yellow squash.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2016   #1387
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I have to buy a house first. Than I will plant few trees (mango, persimmon, fig, clementines, and some other once) even if we would not move there right away, the trees can grow for couple of years. I need bigger property. Not a big house. Just enough land. mhm
Girl can have a dream.
Dream big and make it happen. You need to move to Florida and get started!!
Old July 28, 2016   #1388
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

What about an Avacado tree? I really like HASS avacados and when they are on sale for about $1 each....so tiny and such a huge seed.

I really want one; any set backs to owning one.

Ginny - I bought my Kent in February and covered the trunk with sheets on really cold nights....we haven't had it very cold since then.

My other tree (Choc-Anon) I planted in August the prior year.

I've read that transplants work best in February. Not sure it applies to Mangoes because they love the heat.

Ella - What part of Florida are you moving (someday) to? Planting the fruit bearing trees now sounds like a great idea.

Ginny - I sowed 3 seeds which became 3 plants - 2 are in an EB and 1 is in a Root Pouch. I'm keeping track / count of everything - see my thread in Photo area. If you grew Beta Alphas in an EB, they really don't get taller than the 4' square tomato cages. You could always have replacement plants ready once they get really crappy looking.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1389
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Marsha and other South Floridians,
Are you familiar with anyone growing Mamey/Sapote trees. I read it is possible to grown them down there. I used to eat the fruit when I could purchase it in Miami Dade. I routinely found the fruit in Costa Rica for sale. For me, Sapote is the ultimate tasting tropical fruit. Of course Mango and others are also quite good.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; July 28, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #1390
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Marsha and other South Floridians,
Are you familiar with anyone growing Mamey/Sapote trees. I read it is possible to grown them down there. I used to eat the fruit when I could purchase it in Miami Dade. I routinely found the fruit in Costa Rica for sale. For me, Sapote is the ultimate tasting tropical fruit. Of course Mango and others are also quite good.
Larry
Funny you asked about this Larry. I fell head over heels for it when I tasted it at Redlands Fruit and Spice Park. I took home a seed and started it. I think it will be several years before I get any fruit.
Here's a photo of my 1 year old seedling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (362.4 KB, 72 views)
Old July 28, 2016   #1391
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think I will have to give it a try. Probably should plant it in March so it has a chance to get settled before winter.

Ginny
If you plant it very early spring, you might just get a fruit or 2 the first year. They flower here in December( rarely) or January. Then they ripen fruit by Summer. Plus you want it to be established a bit by the time rainy season comes so it really takes off. JMHO.
Old July 29, 2016   #1392
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

We eat so many mangos between neighbors trees and in laws.... Mango bread, mango pops, mango hot sauce, and my favorite mango rice kheer

http://revisfoodography.com/2016/05/mango-rice-kheer/

The star fruit tree is also sweet
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #1393
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
We eat so many mangos between neighbors trees and in laws.... Mango bread, mango pops, mango hot sauce, and my favorite mango rice kheer

http://revisfoodography.com/2016/05/mango-rice-kheer/

The star fruit tree is also sweet
Chuck, that recipe intrigues me. Its very simple, I must try it. Are you from India?
Old July 29, 2016   #1394
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Chuck, that recipe intrigues me. Its very simple, I must try it. Are you from India?

No I am not; I'm really into cooking and got into Indian food to learn about spices!!!
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #1395
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, IF I retire (early retirement as a teacher not SS pension) it is still at least 4 years. We were looking in Pompano Beach area. There we saw a mango tree for the first time. It was a sign for me.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote