Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2016   #166
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

What is you VERY LARGE single bloom variety ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #167
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Your year and you are so far ahead of me. It is still cold and rainy here. The weather is near to depressing. When will the sun show its face?
Old May 13, 2016   #168
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

We have had 2 days of full sun in the last 21 days. The other 19 have been completely cloudy with some rain each day.
I don't know how my plants are still green other than being under a high tunnel.
Supposed to see sun tomorrow but this is the longest cloudy rainy stretch I have ever witnessed.
It is really starting to affect me mentally. My apathy level is at an all time high.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #169
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, it is Terhune RL, it grows huge tomatoes, and I noticed last year it throws several fused blossoms. Before I assume I have something special, I need to grow something really big, or it is just thoughts, dreams or a tomato fantasy. LOL If it does grow a whopper, I will send out some seeds. It did come from my 5.42 from last year that had three tomatoes on the plant.

Lub., it is 70 and sunny in AK today, the Jet Stream has been goofy since 2013, we have had very nice summers, at the expense of others in the lower 48 in some places.

The Terhune I showed holding in my blue glove is about 1.5lbs already, the plant is very healthy too, but it is only 3-4 fused together, so may only be 5-6lbs.

The tomato set on OP BZ, (Boudyo 6.83) is 4 fused and is growing fast, the (8.36) has no megablooms yet, I have 3 other OP BZ's going, from them.

I also have a massive Mega Marv going, no real selections yet, but I do have a new large bloom forming, too early to tell.

Church has been bagged, I am now growing it for production.
Yuvel, not sure what to do there, I think it has potential, so I am holding out.

I also have a couple Russian varieties that I can't spell right, or pronounce, that are being shuffled to production too.
Belmonte has a monster going too, hopefully genetics are there, IT SURE IS HEALTHY.

I also have a triple on Rozovyi Myod, I got huge hearts from this variety a couple of years ago, and grew it for crosses to add depth to a couple of selections.

My plants overall are looking good, I adjusted my fertilizer mix just a tad, and was very happy to see some positive results.

You"all had better get something going, I want to see some action from the south, and all of you are southerners to me. LOL

Fun, fun.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #170
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Rozovyi Myod, translates from Russian as Pink honey. Hope it tastes good.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #171
Bryanbryn
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few of my plants. Almost winter here but it is surprisingly quite warm. I also have a Domingo plant that didn't die from disease during the main growing season. It has flowers but I'm having trouble getting it to set fruit.
image.jpg
Bryanbryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #172
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

AKMark says: "I want to see some action from the south, and all of you are southerners to me. LOL"

================================================== ==========

Actually, Mark, in one of his programs on TV, the late Dr. Carl Sagan commented that our sun and planets reside in the southern part of the Milky Way Galaxy.

So, that means that the Earth is a southern planet. And that means, that in reality, the north isn't there because everywhere is part of the south.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #173
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Well Ted, you got me there, it's pretty hard to argue with Sagan. LOL
Old May 17, 2016   #174
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

We have quite a few potential large candidates..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_tomatoes.jpg (95.6 KB, 245 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #175
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you do have some large slabs in the making. Whatever your variety is, if you want a monster, prune it down to the biggest, ugliest, fused blossom you have. It looks like you do have a nice triple in there. I can see why your daughter is all grins in the pic.
Old May 17, 2016   #176
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Looks like you do have some large slabs in the making. Whatever your variety is, if you want a monster, prune it down to the biggest, ugliest, fused blossom you have. It looks like you do have a nice triple in there. I can see why your daughter is all grins in the pic.
Might be a loss cause for us to grow big ones this year AKmark. It's already hitting 90's. I might clone a few plants for the later season. But we do have plenty of 2 pounders + in the making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_tomatoes2.jpg (303.7 KB, 233 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #177
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Delirium, what varieties are those big ones? Your tomatoes look wonderful and your daughter is beautiful.
Old May 17, 2016   #178
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you do have some nice tomatoes going there. What is the variety?
Old May 18, 2016   #179
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Progress

I posted a pic of this tomato about a week ago, I think it's growing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1227.JPG (374.2 KB, 210 views)
Old May 19, 2016   #180
Stefanie
Tomatovillian™

I love this thread and it comes so handy, because at a local hardware/garden store there's a competition about the biggest tomato and I signed up. Everyone got a packed of Cuor di Bue seed and time until September 15th.
Sadly I forgot a little about my competition plants and they look not very well Yesterday I finally transplanted them, they have good roots but foilage is a disaster. And they already have blooms. Should I pinch them and wait until the plant is stronger?
Thanks so much for advice
Stefanie
Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote