Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 4, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Pink Berkely Tie Die Question

I'm a little confused if Pink Berkely Tie Die would be considered a medium size or a large one? http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B..._Tie-Dye,_Pink

Maybe it is one that grows larger in a hotter climate? I've never seen any tomato look like it - except in pictures.

AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #2
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Look at: http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/PINK-B...YE-PINKBTD.htm

^That is the breeders description, and that was what it looked like in my garden too. Excellent tomato!
The heavily ribbed fruits on Tatiana's site is not the correct shape for the variety in my opinion.

Last edited by DanishGardener; December 4, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #3
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Salt,

I have grown PBTD for a few years now, and it is one that I will continue to grow. I would call it medium tomato for sure, but it will throw the occasional fruit in the 12oz range. If you are looking for larger sized fruit, then Large Barred Boar is its big brother. Same taste, color, and growth habit in a slightly larger, more flattened shape.

It is advertised for "marginal" climates, typically considered a cool weather tomato. It handles the CA heat just fine in my garden.

Brad Gates also has a new realease with very similar color and striping that is said to be more heat tolerant than the Tie Dye line and larger in size as well. Dark Queen.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #4
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
Look at: http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/PINK-B...YE-PINKBTD.htm

^That is the breeders description, and that was what it looked like in my garden too.
The ribbed fruit on Tatiana's site is not the correct shape for the variety in my opinion.

I would agree, I do get the occasional weird fused blossom that end up in an odd shape. Large Barred Boar however did have ribbed fruits in my garden.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That is very different looking other than one of the pictures Suzan has. Thanks
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #6
natural
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both PBTD and Large Barred Boar for years. My experience is that the background color of LBB is different than PBTD. LBB background has more of a dark reddish-brown background. WBF site seems to be down at the moment, but Steve at Heritage has an accurate photo of LBB.

Both varieties are great. LBB seems to hold on a little longer for me.

Also note that there are 2 or 3 crosses from PBTD in the dwarf project. They produce tomatoes similar to PBTD but a little smaller.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #7
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Funny how the examples in Tatiana's photos seem to vary a lot in darkness and pleated character.

I'd call mine this year medium large

PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #8
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Grew PBTD in my Zone 3a garden this past summer from Tatiana's seed. Big plant, small/medium fruit & small production relative to its hybrid neighbours. Fruit gets very soft very quickly. Taste is good, but not remarkable for me in this climate. I am not a fan of heavily ribbed fruit so this is a no grow for me again.

First blush was 29 days after Stupice so it does not like cool nights.

Last edited by RJGlew; December 4, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

My $0.02, I grew this variety in 2015 and enjoyed the tomato. Was earlier mid season. I will grow it again in the future. I'd also vote for medium sized with a few larger ones (early fused blossoms).
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #10
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

PBTD is a staple in my garden. It's early midseason, productive and tasty. Fruits run 7-12 oz for the most part and are not ribbed, though I do get a few fused fruit early in the season when the weather's been cool. It's a definite keeper in zone 3 and 4...Not sure about how it grows in warmer climates. LBB ran about the same size but was not nearly as productive in my garden.
Old December 6, 2015   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like LBB marginally better, but PBTD has a great name for selling plants.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #12
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've only grown it a couple of times. PBTD was very tasty, but it seemed to suffer in our desert heat. It shut down production for a while during the triple-digits. I don't know, I've visited Wild Boar Farms and his growing conditions are SO different than mine, maybe that's why?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote