Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2006   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite bicolors?

Some of my favorites include Lucky Cross and Burrackers Favorite. I also find Golden Queen USDA Strain to be quite tasty, although most wouldn't technically consider it to be a bicolor.

Which bicolors do you personally think are among the best tasting?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #2
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

I like the ones you named and Marvel Stripe the best, so far....
Old February 20, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Bicolours

My Golden Queens are uniformly yellow

Regina's Yellow was great for me. I liked the fruity almost papaya-like flavour.

Just picked my first Lucky Cross, an F4 or F6 I think. It's Craig selection from Down Under and uniformly pink.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #4
popepaul
Tomatovillian™

Last year, Burracker's Favorite was my favorite Bi-Color. I did not like Green Sausage.

Some that I will probibly grow this spring are:
Anna's Noir, Big Rainbow, Big Zebra, Black Zebra, Green Zebra, Hillbilly (aka Flame), Lucky Cross, Marizol Gold,
Mary Robinson’s German Bi-Color, Red Zebra, Regina’s Yellow, Speckled Roman, Tigerella, & Yellow Out Red In.
popepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The definition of a bicolor is that the second color on the exterior is also found as a marbling in the interior, so quite a few of the varieties mentioned above are not bicolors.

And many yellow/gold tomatoes do show a pinkish/reddish blush at the blossom end, such as Golden Queen, but there is no interior marbling with that pink/red color, so varieties such as Golden Queen (USDA) are not bicolors.

I have a love/hate relationship with bicolors. And I've grown many different varieties, maybe about 15 or so.

I love them when the weather cooperates and I get a nice fruity sweet taste.

But the same variety grown perhaps the next year gives me a mealy lousy flesh texture. Many of them are also prone to concentric cracking and since the flesh is so soft the keeping qualities of fruits is very short compared to almost all other varieties.

Ones that have worked OK for me in my about zone 5 garden, when they have performed for me, might include Marizol Gold, Big Rainbow and Regina's Yellow.

Mr Stripey, the large bicolor one, has been a dud on all counts with respect to yield and taste and overall performance.

I grew Burracker's Favorite last summer and was not impressed with that one performance.

And Virginia Sweets grown in 2004 I did like very much. Linda at TGS asked for seeds for trial and I did send them, but I don't know where that one stands right now. And I will send seeds to Glenn at Sandhill this Spring.

The other group of varieties that I find to be similarly variable are the matte surfaced ones such as Peach Blow Sutton, Nectarine, Garden Peach and friends.
Old February 20, 2006   #6
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

does anyone know anything about dagmas perfection?
how does it rate?
thx david...
Old February 20, 2006   #7
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

I like Hillbilly (RL) best. I will be growing Lucky Cross, Mary Robinson, Armenian, Berkeley Tie Dye, Yellow Zebra, and Beauty King. So that might change.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #8
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I’m a fan of Lucky Cross since growing for the first time two years ago. Until then Big Rainbow topped my bi-color list.

Now all other bi-colors pale in comparison to LC.

Jerry
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #9
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

I especially like Orange Russian 117, Berkley Tie Die, Lucky Cross, and Hawaiin Pinapple

carolyn
Little_Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I need to apologize to Craig, ahem, b'c I totally forgot to mention Lucky Cross and Little Lucky when I mentioned the others that I like.

Again, varieties are not true bicolors unless the second color on the exterior is also found as marbling in the interior, so no zebra types are bicolors b'c the colors are just on the exterior.

As for Dagma's Perfection, that was named by Gary Ibsen for his current lady, and I haven't seen anyone reporting back on it.

Is it a true bicolor? I can't remember.

Carolyn
Old February 20, 2006   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Only two for me - Little Lucky and Lucky Cross. Tried many others, but they all taste too mild/bland for my preferences.

Must be those good Brandywine genes!
Old February 20, 2006   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I grew Big Rainbow as my first bi-color many years ago and vowed not to try any others thinking they were a waste of my time/space. Craig sent me some Lucky Cross seeds a couple of years ago; I may try another bi-color sometime because of the Lucky taste.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #13
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Luck cross... but I am trying little lucky this year as well. Lucky cross was hubby's favorite tomato.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Keith,

I've grown lots of yellow/golds that sometimes do develop that blush at the blossom end and yes, it may come through a bit at the blossom end into the flesh, but I still would not call them bicolors b'c I've never seen the general interior marbling and because all gold/red bicolors that I know of have a progression of color that starts at the blossom end and moves upwards on the fruit, mostly depending on the variety as to how far up it goes. None of the yellow/golds with just that sometime blush are listed in the Other Color section of the SSE Yearbooks where all other bicolors are listed.

ARGG also sometimes develops a blush at the bottom end and also sometimes that bleeds thru to the flesh at the bottom end but I don't call ARGG a bicolor either, and nor does anyone else that I know.
Old February 20, 2006   #15
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I am going with 3 that I selected as the fruit size was smaller so I was hoping DTM might be sooner.
Does anyone have any experience with Tonnelet, Ponderosa Sunrise or Ryabchik?
I really want to try Little Lucky, but will see how I do with bicolors this year.
I have grown only yellow and orange tomatoes in the past. This will be my first attempt at Bicolors.
Not even sure if Tonnelet qualifies as a bicolor, but it is listed in the others section of SSE.
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote