Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it too cold for my tomato plants tonight in the garage?

Hi All,

I am still a little confused about night time temps for tomatoes. Nights in Roseville this week are forecasted to be 35-40F. The highs have been in the high 50's-low 60's with lots of sunshine (except for earlier today...some light rain). I have been taking my tomato plants outside during the warm spells and bring them inside at night.

With the forecasted weather, will I be okay leaving my tomatoes in the garage under lights (on an elevevated work bench not the garage cement floor)? This would be their first night not inside of the house. I don't know the exact temp in the garage. I do know that the temp feels significantely warmer than outside.

I want to start transitioning the tomato plants out of the house, because they are getting quite big. I planted them in early January. It's been an absolute pain moving them in and out of the house.

Without the heater on, the inside of my house is in the very high 60's. Do you think that the transition to the garage is too much at this time?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique

P.S. The local last frost date is 3/23 if that helps.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-I think you will do ok-dont worry, put your tomatoes to bed and sleep well!
Old March 7, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

That should be fine, and that's just what I do if I get the occasional dip down to lower temps whilst hardening off.

Just a reminder, keeping the garage door closed as much as practically possible is a good thing (so as not to let built up heat out), especially if you're expecting a stretch of lower temps.

After sunning them for the day, I've even been known to carry (stage) my flats right to the front of the garage door before I open it, so I can get them in quickly as possible after opening the door.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #4
WildLife
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
I also take plants out in the day in at night, getting to
be a pain. the more I repot the more pots to carry.
Anyway from what I have read, they will survive
temps above 32 deg f. But temps below 50 will
slow there growth. I have had my plants out in
45 deg with a slight breaze(wind chill) and they did fine.
Tomatoes are a hardy plant.
Wild "brrrrr" Life
WildLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Don't baby them - toughen them up! My plants have been spending the night in our garage (unheated) for 2 weeks - no lights on at night (just from 7 AM till about 9 PM) - and we have had nights in the low 20's, so the garage temp is probably 38-42.
Old March 7, 2006   #6
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the advice. I feel much better now. Yippee, I get my kitchen counter space back.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2006   #7
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you asked cause I was wondering the same thing myself! I just started taking my larger plants into the garage last night. I started a bunch of seeds for my grandpa and the darned things went and sprouted fast! So I had to get them under lights before they got leggy. I don't have any lights other than my regular garage light so I'm hoping for the week or two that they're in there that that'll be enough! Fortunately the last frost date for me was yesterday so they'll be in the ground real soon here!

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2006   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

Mine have survived just fine. Last year, we had several nights in the 20's and they were in the garage. No problems. Haven't had much cold weather this year, in fact I am worried it's getting too warm in the garage.lol
creister is offline   Reply With Quote