Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 22, 2014   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The question was in regard to seeding pots and trays. Sterile soilless mix and clean pots and equipment is commonly advised for seed starting. Nobody sterilizes large pots, earthtainers, planters etc
Karen .
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2014   #17
adkspackler
Tomatovillian™

Last year in my area zone4 alot of people had problems with blight including myself. Think I'm going to scrub my 5 gallon pots with a bleach solution an rinse them an let sit in the sun for a bit. Last year was the 1st time I ever had problems with my plants I usually just rinse the containers out an fill them with potting mix. Hoping to avoid any problems this year!

Last edited by adkspackler; April 22, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
adkspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

I do pretty much like Karen: hot soapy water with a dab of bleach for seed starting trays and pots. We had a really blighty year one year, and the bleach cleanup made a big difference in my greenhouse - hardly any disease the year after. It is different when you grow in an enclosed space, disease spreads really rapidly and pests as well, with none of the beneficials and the better air circulation that you get outdoors, so the extra precautions are worth it, IMO. Hot water and bleach will kill eggs of tiny insect pests too, given the pots get a bit of a soak in it. I use plastic pots for the reason, they are easy to clean and re-use.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote