Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 7, 2016   #211
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics. I liked it. Mine turn orange when they get very ripe. It's my pick for a late-season heirloom yellow/orange thus far. I grew it next to a Yellow Brandwine Platfoot, and I got nothing off the brandywine.

I liked Orlov's Yellow, too. It also turns orange when ripe. It does not yield as much as Yoder's, but the fruit are more dense and meaty. The seed cavities are smaller. Holding a tomato in your hand, it feels heavier than it should. I also enjoyed reading the history behind the variety. Ole Grigory was quite the ladies man - he made his fortune by seducing an empress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Orlov
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #212
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Pappy Kerns, gracias Jen!

Cool link C_R. I'm waiting for an Orlov, and I agree on the productivity. Dense ones are always fun to cut into for the first time.

Here's another one for Worth's sandwich.

Pappy Kerns. Productive plant. Given better growing conditions these would get much larger. Excellent flavor. I tasted it and ate all of them, only gave one slice away. Pappy Kerns earns two enthusiastic thumbs up!

pappy kerns top.tv.jpg

pappy kerns bottom.tv.jpg

pappy kerns sliced.tv.jpg

pappy kerns closeup.tv.jpg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #213
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Nice pics. I liked it. Mine turn orange when they get very ripe. It's my pick for a late-season heirloom yellow/orange thus far. I grew it next to a Yellow Brandwine Platfoot, and I got nothing off the brandywine.

I liked Orlov's Yellow, too. It also turns orange when ripe. It does not yield as much as Yoder's, but the fruit are more dense and meaty. The seed cavities are smaller. Holding a tomato in your hand, it feels heavier than it should. I also enjoyed reading the history behind the variety. Ole Grigory was quite the ladies man - he made his fortune by seducing an empress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Orlov
The Orlov sounds like a great tomato. Link was a good read, but I think they made an error on Catherine's age, listed as 22 years old in 1783 at the time of her death.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote