Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomato Plant & Fire Ants?

This one is long. There is a real question as the title implies - and it is an experiment. I really like experimenting with plants.

Late last fall, there was a volunteer tomato plant that I dug up with the intent to see if I could overwinter it just for something to do. It died a few weeks after transplant. I had transplanted it in potting mix in a 3-4 gallon pot. It served two purposes - I didn't know what to do with the odd sized pot, and I got to use up some potting mix that I really didn't care for. (A personal opinion - so I won't mention a brand name). Anyway, I left the pot out thinking I would just dump the potting mix in the compost bin or something like that eventually. (I was being lazy from lack of interest.) That's the history of the pot and planting mix.

Two days ago, I was going through backup tomato plants when I thought, "Why not plant one in that pot?" I watered the plant in the party cup and went to plant it. Stuck my hand shovel in the potting mix and quickly saw that pot was full of fire ants! So I planted the tomato plant anyway.

Anyone who has fireants can tell you the dangers of them. For anyone who has not encountered a fireant - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant sort of explains them.

I looked at it right at sundown tonight, and that tomato plant looks better/healthier than it ever did in the party cup. It brings up a lot of questions and ideas.

Could those fire ants be providing air to the roots by their burrowing?
Is that air a good thing for the tomato plant roots?
Can I compare what an ant colony is doing to what earthworms do?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #2
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

At my old house where I sometimes had the mounds pop up in the lawn I often thought that the grass coming out of that mound was awfully green. So there must be something to it, perhaps their excrement? Or maybe they are stockpiling organic matter of some kind. This would be something interesting for an expert to expound on. I thought maybe I was just imagining it, but maybe not.
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One of my containers has fire ants living in it too.
The problem starts when you start messing with the plant and they boil up and cover it and you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Tomato plant or not, I see NO good reason to keep those little #@&%$'s around!!! lol

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Tomato plant or not, I see NO good reason to keep those little #@&%$'s around!!! lol

Greg
I agree. For some reason they just love it here. Last year I had a container tomato plant that was failing miserably. I saw no evidence of them in container no mound at all . I finally cut it off at base of stem and to my dismay the stem was hollow and full of fire ants. Didn't know that was possible .

I am trying a product called "surrender" currently. Just a teaspoon per mound. We shall see.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #6
GreenFarmer
Tomatovillian™

wow sounds like a scary pest
GreenFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
One of my containers has fire ants living in it too.
The problem starts when you start messing with the plant and they boil up and cover it and you.

Worth
Been there done that. One of the few times I had garden gloves on. Turned a fairly small pot out into my hand and howdy do that was my introduction to fire ants. I ended up with some bites but it could have been SO much worse.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

In 2007 my FIL passed away in AZ and we drove out to attend. Crossing NM we were out in wide open spaces. I was taking a break from driving and sitting barefooted in the back seat while my oldest son drove. I had to pee and asked my son to pull over and I stepped out unzipped and began to relieve myself. I look down and I was surrounded by fire ants, barefooted and had a lot more liquid to pass. At the same time, my son decides it would be funny to drive off and leave me standing there. He is 1/4 mile away when here comes another car. I was in a bad spot and all I can say is it wasn't pretty.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #9
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

Supposedly ants don't eat plants but that does not stop them from building mounds around the stems and I sure doing something with the roots that is not good. I have seen them build a mound overnight. They absolutely love the pine straw that I mulch heavily with, I'm going to have to use something to stop them.
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

mix 2oz of molasses and 2 oz. of orange oil in a gallon of water and pour into center of mound and drench the whole mound. Bye Bye fire ants.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #11
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

creister ................does it kill them, or just move them.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #12
creister
Tomatovillian™

Kill them. Orange oil will dissolve the exoskeleton, and molasses will stimulate soil bacteria to increase and will be able to attack and kill the ants since exoskeleton is gone. That is how it was explained to me.

I had ant mounds by two of my plants. I treated them with the above method. Ants are gone, but plants are slower developing than the others. I believe the extra moisture from the solution caused some over watering. Leaves are light green.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #13
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFarmer View Post
wow sounds like a scary pest
bite your head off
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #14
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Salt- I think you are right on all counts! The tunnels through the root system will certainly increase the porosity of the medium, letting air and nutrients in. It will also improve the drainage.

Most importantly, fire ants are carnivorous- and foragers! They bring organic food into that nest at night, and also produce organic waste. It's a win win! At least, until you do like Worth said, and cover yourself with them.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #15
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Salt- I think you are right on all counts! The tunnels through the root system will certainly increase the porosity of the medium, letting air and nutrients in. It will also improve the drainage.

Most importantly, fire ants are carnivorous- and foragers! They bring organic food into that nest at night, and also produce organic waste. It's a win win! At least, until you do like Worth said, and cover yourself with them.
Did a Google search. Fire ants are omnivorous. Which explains why I had them living inside tomato plant stem. Perhaps the plant was ill and sent them an invite. When I dumped the pot it was inundated with them. I hate these critters. Glad to report the surrender is working. I am on a mission, determined to get rid of them.

Last edited by jillian; April 12, 2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Misspelling
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote