Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 25, 2008   #1
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeping bean seed dry

Quick query??, any harm in adding a small satched of silica gel crystals in among a jar of beans to preserve the seed for later planting??..
reason for asking is i had some go mildewy last year after collecting some seed for this years plant and now need to know for when i collect seed this year..
Cheers
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

No harm at all Volvo. In fact in your climate, probably a good idea. Just make sure the seeds have dried as thoroughly as possible on the vine before harvesting them. An alternative to silica gel is ash, or even rice. Put the dry seeds in a paper envelope and put envelope in jar with ash in the bottom. Close lid. Ash has the added benefit of keeping bugs away.
Old January 25, 2008   #3
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Ash ey, will do so..What i have at present is some small plastic jars i was going to place the seed in accompanied by the silica gel but wil try the ash as well seeings as how its good for the bugs..
Cheers mate & appreciated..
And Your Better Best
Old January 25, 2008   #4
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Volvo,

Raymondo is right, I use rice in mine and then I seal them in Ball canning jars, with ring and lid. Like he said, make sure they're fully dried beforehand.

Red
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2008   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Ash is an interesting idea. It should be readily available and renewable. I would replace it every now and then. I expect it would act less powdery once it had taken up some moisture.

Do be aware that silica gel must be re-dried every now and then because its capacity for taking up moisture is rather easily overloaded. Heating it in the oven for several hours should drive off the water (same for rice). I use anhydrous calcium sulfate. There is a small amount of indicator calcium sulfate in there as well. It turns from blue to pink when it has picked up water, so I know when the material is no longer picking up moisture. I find that even using Mason jars with lids and rings is not that tight to moisture.

With any of the drying materials, you do want to refresh them (drive off the water they've adsorbed) on a regular basis, especially if you live in a humid area.

I've read about using the hammer method for testing for bean dryness. If the bean shatters when hit with a hammer, it's dry enough.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What hasn't been mentioned is to be sure to FREEZE the bean seed for 2-3 days b'c it kills any been weevils which are under the seed coat and you can't see them.

There's nothing worse than going to get your seeds and see that they've turned into lace with magots covering the inside of the jar.
Old February 27, 2008   #7
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

How about leaving it frozen till come time to use it???..
Have had very wet and mildewy dried seed pods of late with the amount of water weve had fall out of the heavens here..
have been hanging the seeds in the lawn locker and under the back pergola try drying them up but still go a tad mildewy..
If i just drop them in a plastic jar or bag and into the freezer till plantout , reckon that will be good enough??..
Cheers
And Your Better Best
Old March 6, 2008   #8
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering the same thing as Volvo.

Anyone know?
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote