Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 9, 2006   #31
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Mine are about 5 - 6 inches high ...
Again,,, like every year, I waited too long !

I pass by this house on 36 every day ...
Their peas are like 1.5 ft !!! Is that you ???!!! lol ~

whats growing on with your plants ?
how are they doing?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006   #32
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Nah! Mine are like yours b/c I planted when you did. I thot I had bought DWARF snow peas by mistake! Honestly, I thot snow peas grew faster than that. Mine are slow growing. Didn't see them at all for quite some time. Oh well. I'll still be picking snow peas before tomatoes. IF, that is, I get tomatoes. Something HAS BEEN BREAKING THE TOP OFF OF MY SEEDLINGS that have been outside hardening. I don't know if it is a squirrel, bird, or what, but it is driving me crazy! Five plants have been neatly beheaded!!! It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to leave them outside now.

Thanks for the info.
DonnaMarieNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006   #33
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

March 19th, I Planted Dwarf Gray Sugar peas that I got from seed savers. Here is a photo of them growing in my little Square foot garden. The peas are on the far right growing up the twine. This was last week they were about 2 feet tall, now they seem aleast 3 feet tall, and have about 6 flowers per plant.. hopefully will have some Sugar peas soon!

Old May 9, 2006   #34
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
DonnaMarieNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006   #35
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ
Nah! Mine are like yours b/c I planted when you did. I thot I had bought DWARF snow peas by mistake! Honestly, I thot snow peas grew faster than that. Mine are slow growing. Didn't see them at all for quite some time. Oh well. I'll still be picking snow peas before tomatoes. IF, that is, I get tomatoes. Something HAS BEEN BREAKING THE TOP OFF OF MY SEEDLINGS that have been outside hardening. I don't know if it is a squirrel, bird, or what, but it is driving me crazy! Five plants have been neatly beheaded!!! It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to leave them outside now.

Thanks for the info.
I planted my peas the first week of March and they took over a month to germinate. And then.. only the snow peas grew - Not a single one of the sugar snap even sprouted (I must have had some bad seed). Mine are about 18" high now, but I still haven't seen a single flower. Being slightly south of you guys, we seem to be on about the same track for our respected growing conditions. I'll let you know if I get to pick any peas before they fry up in the heat.

(Spinich is doing lovely and I sowed it on the same day as the peas. I've harvested several times already.)

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006   #36
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

timcunningham ! Square-foot gardening
at its best !!! Looks great !!!

on another note, this one house across
the highway from us, has a great set up for peas, and they are looking sweet !!!
Big too ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006   #37
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

Tom & Donna,
I'm next door to you guys. I planted back on March 8th and they are a couple feet high. The sugar peas are blooming and the snow and English peas should be blooming soon.

We're eating broccoli, lettuce, spinach, and radishes from the garden regularly now. So wonderful to be eating fresh produce once again.

Christine
tanagerzoo is offline   Reply With Quote