Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 14, 2006   #1
Kidde
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving basil seed?

I've never grown basil and plan on trying for the first time this year.

Do the plants form some type of seed pod? Any recommendations for your fav varieties?

Thanks in advance everybody.
Kidde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Do the plants form some type of seed pod?

They flower -- many varieties will send out these tall salvia like spires if not continually pinched back. Then the blooms will go to seed if left on the plant long enough.

Towards the end of the season (but not before), I start letting mine flower. Once the flowers bloom out and then start to brown, you can collect seed. Just cut the spires off and shake or crush over a paper plate. The seed is very tiny and black, almost like ground pepper or poppy seed.

Any recommendations for your fav varieties?

Sweet genovese basil would be a good one to start out with. IMO, the best tasting and most versatile. I also like red rubin, both for looks and taste.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

I absolutely love Cinnamon and Licorice basil. They both have very unique taste. Unfortunately, they are not as versatile as other varieties. I would suggest that you grow plenty of Sweet Genovese Basil and one plant of a few less common varieties. At some nurseries, the workers will let you pinch and taste a leaf to see if you like the the variety. That's exactly what I do. Along with eating basil, sometimes I use it in floral arangements. Other times, I'll leave it water in a nice vase without any flowers. Cinnamon basil really gives the house a nice smell.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #4
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

I adore basil and always have these 3 in my garden.

A large leaf Italian type- either Mammoth Sweet or Sweet Genovese
Siam Queen Thai Basil, wonderful anise like flavor and so pretty too!
Greek Columnar Basil, superb flavor, sweet with anise overtones, excellent for fresh salads (especially Insalata Caprese). Does not set flowers so it has to be propagated from cuttings.