Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old September 11, 2009   #1
clara
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Calabash = Noire de Coseboeuf?

Carolyn, you made me curious about Noire de Coseboeuf, mentionning it in another thread. After googling several sites and a French gardening forum, I'm wondering if those two varieties are identical. I know many people don't like Purple Calabash - we do like it because of its spicy taste. If Noire de Coseboeuf is the same, there would be no need to go on the hunt for seeds of this variety. Thank you all for every info! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1607

Clara, above is a link to a thread about the two varieties that were talked about in 2006 here at Tville.

There's really nothing more I can say.

Since I don't like the taste of either one I never grew them again, but if doing so I'd grow them in the same season to compare. Note that Craig said one of them was quite variable in his garden and that what he saw for one at Monticello was different than what he grew.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old September 12, 2009   #3
clara
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Carolyn, for the link! Craig has described his Purple Calabash as mine look like, but I, too, have seen photos of much larger fruits. Next year, I'll try both varieties if I find seeds of Noire de Coseboeuf. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote