Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 20, 2007   #16
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Actually, since I will be in California in June for the Highland Games, I may just see if I can pass by one of their listed dealers and pick some up..
Old April 20, 2007   #17
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The link above shows that the closest dealer to me is 1,783.9 miles away!
LOL, Sherry, the closest for me is 2,235.5 miles (S. San Francisco).
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2007   #18
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I went and picked up a 25 lb bag of Garden Tone...I told the owner I had been looking for Tomato Tone and she replied that they carried a few of the five pound bags a few years ago...but it did not sell much...and she thought Garden Tone was pretty close to it in composition...so she dropped it.
Old April 22, 2007   #19
COmater
Tomatovillian™

You can purchase Tomato Tone from Totally Tomatoes for $5.95 per 5 pound bag and $4.95 shipping no matter how much you buy. It's a bargain if you buy multiples, because other sites go by weight or amount purchased and the shipping charges can be more than the product. I just bought a little extra to last me. It's under the organic growing aids and doesn't come up in the search.
COmater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2007   #20
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks COmater! I'm placing an order.
Old April 23, 2007   #21
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

How are you applying the Tomato Tone? Do you place some in the hole you are placing the plant into? Or are you using it later to spread around the plant? Will it be too much for the plant if using it with seedling? Other than Earl's mixture, any other methods to use it?
Thanks,
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #22
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I would not use TomatoTone for seedlings.

You can either scatter a little bit of it around the plant, or mix it into the soil around where the rootball will be. If you just throw it into the bottom of the hole, the plant may not produce a lot of roots since it doesn't have to go very far to get a snack.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #23
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
We get Tomato Tone at our local True Value hardware store. If they are out of it, they will order it for us. The SKU for 5 lb. bags is 337292.

I should mention that ours is a good old fashioned hardware store where you can get anything - but you have to ask because it's stacked to the roof with stuff and the only people who can find it are the ones that have worked there forever.

Don't know if a "big city" store would order this for you, but it might be worth a try.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #24
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Felpec:

Thanks for the tip...there are a couple of small, family owned hardware store left around me. I will give them a try...one is Jerry's Hardware...where they say...If Jerry can't get it, it does not exist. It's off the beaten path and I tend to forget about it.
Old May 3, 2007   #25
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

honu -- Did you order from TT? The way I read it, there's a $10 surcharge for AK and HI. Drat!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #26
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sherry, I should have known it was too good to be true. I was typing in the order when I posted that I was ordering it, then saw the $10 surcharge after I said that, then changed my mind.
Old May 4, 2007   #27
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Me too. I had started an order and then changed my mind as well. Too bad for us!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #28
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

You can skip the AK and HI surcharge for Totally tomatoes orders. I'm the one that downloads the orders and we will not add it to your order. Just use the standard shipping and we will send it to you. If you were going to order 15 or 20 pounds, then yes, please add the extra surcharge. But for one 5 pound bag, don't worry about it.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #29
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Well how 'bout that? I'm officially a Totally Tom's customer and I'm not even from HI or Alaska. Who said the Internets weren't good for anything??
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007   #30
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks jungseed, but when I got to the last step before submitting my order I got a message that those products (Tomato Tone) cannot be shipped to my state.

Last edited by honu; May 5, 2007 at 08:26 PM.