Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 23, 2016   #16
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

A pretty good price on the Ferry-Morse heirloom series this year at $2.19. Got this pack at Lowe's and had over 60 seeds, so did the Box Car Willie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (48.0 KB, 75 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #17
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

I buy the majority of my garden seeds from www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com
check them out, you can buy in large or small quantities, I have always gotten great service from them, and never have any problems with germination rates
Old March 23, 2016   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

One thing about reputable seed sellers including small mom and pop operations, is that they always tell you how many seeds you're paying for, by number or by weight or both.

I've sometimes picked up a packet of this or that in a hardware or grocery store, and the results are hit or miss. Best of the lot were from Home Hardware at 99 cents a pack, plenty of seeds and good germination too on their spinach and beans. One thing I noticed though, there was no year mentioned on the package. In Canada that means it is not "Grade A" seed, and explains the low price. But it also means, they could put them out again year after year if they don't sell... Maybe I was just lucky!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Morgan County Seed is very generous with their OP varieties; they also have the best quantity pricing that I have found for most of what they sell. Selection is not the greatest, though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #20
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I once ordered some onion seed from Parks and the packet was entirely empty! A phone call straightened it out, so I don't hold it against them.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2016   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I failed at my pepper seeds this year trying the paper towel and a baggie method. Needless to say I won't do that again, BUT I went to a local "old fashioned" supply store today to get some pepper seeds to replace what didn't germinate. I actually opened the packed of Red Mercury to see how many was in there. It was 450mg packet... it was quite a few seeds. I wasn't at all disappointed with the quantity for 1.99... I will say all of the seeds were OP/heirloom varieties ( so there should have been a fair amount in each packet), it was way better than having nothing when I killed off all of my previously ordered and paid for hybrids and heirlooms.