Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 11, 2012   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Overwintering peppers in water

Folks, I could not plow under 50 pepper plants last week, many still flowering and full of vigor here in Atlanta. I pulled them out, and washed their roots, and put them in pails of water. Can I keep them in water until end February (about 11 more weeks), perhaps by adding fish emulsion or other delicacies? It would be a lot of work and space to replant them in soil.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Folks, I could not plow under 50 pepper plants last week, many still flowering and full of vigor here in Atlanta. I pulled them out, and washed their roots, and put them in pails of water. Can I keep them in water until end February (about 11 more weeks), perhaps by adding fish emulsion or other delicacies? It would be a lot of work and space to replant them in soil.
scott i can't answer your question about the water method but, why not just pick out a comfortable number to pot up, another group to cut back and wrap up as a batch in some potting mix and the rest to put in a pail of water. later you could tell us how it worked out for you. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Good idea. Will do and report back.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i feel the same way you do about my pepper plants in the fall as they do so well so i just potted them all. some in i cut back severely and put them in one gallon pots; others that were bearing heavily i cut back moderately or not at all and put them into very large containers and into the greenhouse they went. in fact i just had a good harvest of habaneros, fatalis. yellow trinidad scorpions serranos and some type of habanero a friend brought seed of from costa rica. they are just too pretty to relegate to the pile. i wish you well in your project. i just have a weakness for peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. jon

Last edited by peppero; December 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #5
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

They won't survive in water that long.. you're better off starting from seed right now. You might have been able to get away with it with a hydroponic set up, but adding nutrients to still water and roots that aren't water adapted will just cause root rot to happen even faster. Cold+wet roots = death :/
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Understand on not being able to just let them die, and agree that they probably won't last all Winter in just water.

I potted up my best ones (and a couple that I probably should have just tossed) and they are sitting in the greenhouse right now, flowering away. One has several tiny new peppers and I have done absolutely nothing with them except water them once a week.

Last year I had a small amount of peppers all Winter, so it's definitely worth it.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #7
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I too can't let my peppers die, I have twenty inside under a shop light for the winter. Those plants will die fast in the water, the only way that MIGHT work is if the water was moving. Stale water = dead plants!
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote